New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Cannot change partition size

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skujins

skujins is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 6 GB RAM OS X 10.6.4

Hello all,

With my recent purchase of Snow Leopard, I created a second partition to instal 10.6, while I keep my 10.5 running on the original. I'm in the process of moving files from 10.5 to 10.6. When trying to change the partition size of 10.5 partition to make it smaller to make more room for 10.6 I encounter this message every time.

"Partition failed with the error:

The partition cannot be resized. Try reducing the amount of change in the size of the partition."

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? It might surprise you, but I've actually done what it recommends, trying a smaller change. I tried as little as 5 GB, no dice, same message.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Why stop at 5GB? If the message says go smaller, try it! If it allows 1GB, then do that multiple times.
QUOTE Thanks
skujins

So, you want me to do this action 600 times? I'm dealing with 1 TB. The point is... this shouldn't be happening. I should be able to just resize the partition without any problem.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

These may be silly questions, but if I may....

Have you run Verify/Repair Permissions and Verify/Repair Disk? Have you run fsck to do a filesystem check?

Are any other apps open while you're attempting to resize?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
skujins

Not a silly question at all.

I did try to run the permissions verify/ repair, but they are greyed out on that disk/ partition. I did run the plain verify/repair... I also thought to close all apps while doing so. Nothing at all was running.

When I first tried to create the partition I was going to instal SL on, disk utility kept crashing on 'arranging partition map'. I had to restart my iMac twice before it successfully created a new partition...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds to me like there might be some kind of filesystem corruption. My advice would be to do the following:

1. Turn the machine off.
2. Turn the machine back on and immediately press and hold Command+S.
3. This will start you in "single user mode", which is a text-only mode.
4. Type the following:

/sbin/fsck -f

5. Allow the filesystem check to run. When it finishes, if it found no problems, type:

exit

6. If it found any problems, run it again until it finds no problems.

Then boot normally and give it another shot.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
skujins

Yep. Did that. No dice.

There's like 500 GB free space on this partition, and I'd really like to make more room for my other one...
QUOTE Thanks
skujins

Well, thanks for your help guys, it seems to have fixed itself...
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Cool beans. Glad to hear it.

QUOTE Thanks
skujins

Ok, kinda premature. I fixed the original issue...

But. Now I can't change the size of my partition with SL. I can create a new partition in the free space... But, cannot modify the second one. It does not have the slider in the corner, and I cannot manually change the size by typing it in.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skujins View Post
So, you want me to do this action 600 times? I'm dealing with 1 TB.
Sorry, can't read between the lines.
QUOTE Thanks
rahvee

rahvee is on a distinguished road

Even though you may have enough empty space available, this error will happen when there isn't enough disk space unallocated ... meaning ... Try these things:

1- Empty your trash.
2- Do you have Parallels, Fusion, or anything else with a large sparse file or sparse bundle? You may have to delete or find a way to shrink that. The unused space counts, up to the maximum size of the sparse file.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Not one positive Snow Leopard install experience... But TWO ! | Hidden Files »