New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Address book/web "favourites" file retrieval

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kaveman

Kaveman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac (the 1/2 globe model), 800 MHz, SDRAM 512 MB, and just installed OS X Tiger 10.4.11

Hi there, I'll give a quick background on the underlying problem...I have an old iMac (the 1/2 globe style.) I was running OS X 10.2.2, but purchased OS X Tiger 10.4 from the mac support people. To limit the computer bogging down with the newer system, I purchased and upgraded to 512 MB ram at the local London Drugs. That's where the fun starts! Not! I had the sense to back up all documents, pictures, etc. before bringing it in. They (LD) were to install the new Ram card and the plan was to then copy all of our address book entries and web browser "favourites" URLs before installing the OS X 10.4...should've done that the other way around! The LD guy for some reason couldn't restart the computer with the new (or old, when he tried that) card. Said he traced it to a corrupt user. All a foreign language to me, which is why I sent it to them. Sent LD a working computer, was supposed to be a 15 minute job, and 2 days later I get my machine back with a "clean install of the original OS X 10.2" as he termed it. Tried for days to retrieve what I want, but gave up and figured if I'm starting fresh, I might as well do it on OS X Tiger 10.4, which I have successfully installed and updated to 10.4.11. There's the background, now here's the issue...
The LD guy told me how to get into the previous system files (which I can do); I've googled and checked the relevant threads on this site, and none of the locations and suggestions seem to find the files I'm looking for - namely a list of the addresses from my old system or a list of my Browser favourites. If I have to slog my way through re-entering and searching everything, so be it, but I'd rather hear that there's a way to find all that stuff and transfer it over to the new OS.
While I'm at it, the guy also renamed our computer by misspelling my name and calling it Kevin's computer...I despise the name Kevin (my apologies to all I offended with that one!) and I want to correct it. I've tried numerous times in Finder the "rename Kevin" option, but it only lasts until I Logout and then Log back in...driving me nuts!
Thanks to all in advance for thinking this one over, and sorry if I'm a bit wordy...in my profession, the more you write, the better you cover your butt! Hard habit to break.
Later, Kaveman
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« File associations - I give up | Cannot copy whole directories without fail »