New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Here is a link to keyboard short cuts in case you have not seen or know of them. Note: This is for OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

one they always leave out is ...

Command + ` = switch between windows in app. works system wide

QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

That is an awesome list... I am gonna sticky this... Only thing I don't like about Keyboard Shortcuts, is that they don't work in Windows

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

I love command + tab. i believe came out in OS9? Some times so much easier to use your keyboard than the mouse.
I also hate window build up (having so many finder windows open when you only want 1 or 2) so i use option + double click on folder and closes parent folder.

Alot of those havnt changed since the start of the new OS (classic)

Last edited by Graphite; 09-25-2003 at 03:49 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light

command + option + w = closes all windows in finder

QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite
I love command + tab. i believe came out in OS9? Some times so much easier to use your keyboard than the mouse.
I also hate window build up (having so many finder windows open when you only want 1 or 2) so i use option + double click on folder and closes parent folder.

Alot of those havnt changed since the start of the new OS (classic)
But doesn't OS10 allow for a choice...open in just one window? I don't like the trail of windows either. Just taught my students yesterday how to option open...and how to comand option back up the path by clicking in the title bar. I have only currently booted in OS a few times...but one thing I did notice was that the open folder process was able to be set...or did I imagine things.

Drew
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrys
That is an awesome list... I am gonna sticky this... Only thing I don't like about Keyboard Shortcuts, is that they don't work in Windows
Most do...just substitute the Ctrl key in place of command.

One thing I have not had a chance to figure out is the Refresh key in Explorer. In Windows, it is F5...and I use it all the time. So I am always hitting it when I am on my Mac as well. It keeps coming up with a dialog box to set the function keys...which I haven't taken the time to set. Is it possible to set the F5 key to work system wide?

Drew
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

command-R will refresh in Safari I havent messed with the F keys.. Ill have to look into all of this
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

/me tries command-r

"ah so it does "

I like the mouse/keyboard combos the best still. Though if you can do the command with one hand preferabley the left, then its great.

My most used are command + c and command + v. been using them since apple began
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

Command + F1 = full keyboard control

see control panels >> mouse/keyboard for more info on it

QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt

That is pretty cool. Thanks! Just going to it one time seems to have fixed the lack of function keys...maybe that is what Command + F1 does. Everytime the option to set Function Keys has come up, I have canceled it not knowing what to do.

I understand the purpose of setting the Hot Keys. But I am a little unclear on the second option: "Use F1 through F15 as Hot Keys...". If you click in on...then the option key is needed to use regular F keys. But if it is off...is it safe to assume that you have to use Option to get Hot F Keys? It seems to work that way...but then I haven't defined any.

Thanks for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddikt

Hello again. Is there something different I need to do omn a OS10 PB G4?

The default is for the Function keys to do things like Volume, screen, etc. I have to hodl down the Fn key to get the Universal functions like Refresh. It seems in OS 9 that it was possible to change the default so thqat you had to hold down the Fn key to get the specialized items. I have tried several different strategies in the OS10 CP, but can figure it out.

Is it possible to change the default?

Drew
QUOTE Thanks
CyCo_CyBorG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokerd
Hello again. Is there something different I need to do omn a OS10 PB G4?

The default is for the Function keys to do things like Volume, screen, etc. I have to hodl down the Fn key to get the Universal functions like Refresh. It seems in OS 9 that it was possible to change the default so thqat you had to hold down the Fn key to get the specialized items. I have tried several different strategies in the OS10 CP, but can figure it out.

Is it possible to change the default?

Drew
i got the same thing on my PB

and, (trying not to sound like an idiot) where is the 'delete' key on a PB ?
i see the 'backspace' key (same as in windows), but no 'delete' key to be found
i've checked the symbol list that is in Panthers help files, but, that symbol is not on my PB keyboard.
or is that some freaky key combo to ?
QUOTE Thanks
lokerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCo_CyBorG
and, (trying not to sound like an idiot) where is the 'delete' key on a PB ?
or is that some freaky key combo to ?
Well, I am still trying to figure out how to change the default of my function keys. But I did learn how to do a Foward Delete ("Del"), which I guess is what you are wanting, right?

On my G4 12" laptop, the backspace key is called "Delete" under the CD Eject button, to the right of the "+" sign, etc. There is NO "Del" key. To get a foward del, you have to hodl down the Fn key. Strangely, this solution does NOT work on the older iMacs at school with the smaller Keyboards that also lack a Del key. Anybody know how to deal with that?

Drew
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

CyCo_CyBorG if your meaning to delete a file on your desktop or soemthing on your mac use the command + backspace it will delete the icon or file you have clicked on

i think my favourtie command would have to be the command + tab for switching between different programs and then command + ` for switching windows within a certain application. very usefull for switching from photoshop to image ready or illustrator
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finding my Files on iPad Mini | Mac OS 10.9 "Mavericks" Released »