New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

2g5poweruser

oh well i can live with out it I guess tiger may have this feature

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I'm addicted to this one shortcut that I use, but I can't remember where I heard it from. It's kind of like combining two shortcuts into one. Let's say you have a whole bunch of apps open, and you want to shutdown selected particular apps. First I use "Command + Tab", which bring up the current apps running. While still holding down the "Commend Key", press the "Tab Key" to select the desired app to close. Once, you have the app selected, while still holding down the "Command Key", press "Q" to quit out of the app.

Sometimes, I'll do the method above to close out of all apps, then use "Control + Option + Command, then Eject. This shuts down the computer faster than doing it by hand. Or if you want to restart the computer use "Control + Command, then Eject.

I almost made a new thread, because I didn't know this one existed, oopsy.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

My favorite shortcut is still Option + Shift + K in any text/word processing program (TextEdit, MS Word, AppleWorks...etc.)

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
ApplejustWorks

ApplejustWorks is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
My favorite shortcut is still Option + Shift + K in any text/word processing program (TextEdit, MS Word, AppleWorks...etc.)
You rule!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
thats quite an old one, I use lots of kb shortcuts. I now use an app called spark, so I make my own shortcuts.
QUOTE Thanks
majid bin sawad

Is there keyboard shortcut for fast switch user ???
QUOTE Thanks
jsb515

jsb515 is on a distinguished road

nice post! thanks for the list I was wondering how to take a screen cap
QUOTE Thanks
Ey3 D

If you have Panther or Tiger, use Expose. But if you want a cool effect like the Matrix, do all your Expose and Dashboard keys while holding down shift. It roxxorz!
For screen shot, coomand + shift + 3

Last edited by Ey3 D; 06-12-2005 at 12:44 PM.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

These shortcuts might come in handy, if you perhaps lose connectivity with your wireless mouse or other reasons, and you need to execute some commands in the menu bar or launch apps or minimized windows in the dock.

Using an Apple keyboard:

Access menu bar: control + F2 (⌃ + F2)

Access dock: control + F3 (⌃ + F3)

Using an Apple laptop keyboard:

Access menu bar: fn + control + F2 (fn + ⌃ + F2)

Access dock: fn + control + F3 (fn + ⌃ + F3)

Use the arrow keys to navigate dock and menu bar, and press Enter to select. To deselect, press Escape.
QUOTE Thanks
whyatt

This is a strange request.

In Linux you can middle click on a window and it will push itself to the back of the stack of open windows. This might not sound very interesting, but when you start using it you will wonder how you coped before (think tabs for window browsing - it's that good. And even though expose rules, I need this as well.

Does anyone know anything about getting that to work on OS X. I've been googling for hours, but my search-fu is weak.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

if you are talking about multiple windows in a program, the shortcut is command + `. that will switch between windows in a program. then, there is the command + tab to rotate between programs.

ps - that is the accent mark (`) and not the single quote(') which is located under the tilde (~)

Last edited by fearlessfreap24; 11-10-2005 at 11:57 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
whyatt

Thats not quite the same thing, but still cool. Thanks. The method I describe suits how I work perfectly.

I'm beginning to think maybe a stand alone app may be needed to enable it. If anyone has made one.

I will go to any length to aquire this ability.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyatt
This is a strange request.

In Linux you can middle click on a window and it will push itself to the back of the stack of open windows. This might not sound very interesting, but when you start using it you will wonder how you coped before (think tabs for window browsing - it's that good. And even though expose rules, I need this as well.

Does anyone know anything about getting that to work on OS X. I've been googling for hours, but my search-fu is weak.
hmm, I know there are apps that allow you to configure buttons on your mouse, so that may be an option, the shortcut I use for this is command+~(right above tab button). it rotates through any windows that are open, except in photoshop.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

a shortcut (if this wasn't posted already): Command+Tab, highlight the app, press H and it hides it
QUOTE Thanks
shetz

shetz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5

I like the F9-F12 shortcuts in Tiger, but I disabled the space+cmd+opt (Spotlight) and cmd+option D (forgot what this did, but I think it made the Dock appear...?), 'coz they messed up my zooming out for Freehand and feathering in Photoshop (respectively).

He who laughs last will often find that he has no one to laugh with.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finding my Files on iPad Mini | Mac OS 10.9 "Mavericks" Released »