New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdunlapx View Post
That link in the first post does not take me to a list of shortcuts. It takes me to Apple Support, the main page.

It would seem then, that sometime in the last 9 years Apple's changed their link structure. Should be easily searchable from there "keyboard shortcuts"

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Scoobie Newbie

Scoobie Newbie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OSX 10.9.....iTouch 4, 64gB....iPhone 5

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343
QUOTE Thanks
Julik

Julik is on a distinguished road

Great lists, I like the Command + tab most~~~
QUOTE Thanks
f.furter

f.furter is on a distinguished road

⌘⇥ (cmd tab) is a great one. I did a short tutorial on it. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link so I'll paste it here...

Application Switcher
Free up space on your hard drive
Mac Stuff
Backup your data

One of the most useful features on your Mac, Application Switcher is worth getting to know properly

application switcher

Press and hold ⌘, tap ⇥ once but keep holding ⌘. A box pops up as shown above, showing which apps are open. Tap and release ⇥ a few times while still holding ⌘ and you'll step through them. To change direction while the window is open hit ⇧ at the same time.

Switch between apps and show windows.

Most windows, including hidden ones (but not minimised) should show when you simply ⌘⇥ (cmd tab) to them and then release. Press ⌘ and hold it down, tap and release ⇥ repeatedly through the icons until you are on the app you want, and then release ⌘. Alternatively you can press ↩ while still holding ⌘ down. Both methods have their uses. While you are on each one you can also press Q for quit, H for hide, and M for minimise.

Show minimised windows

To restore a minimised window, or open a window where there isn't one open, select the application as described, and then while keeping ⌘ held down, hit ⌥ and hold that while you release ⌘. To do it with one finger see the tutorial Lose the mouse!

Quit all applications

It's not a bad idea to quit all programmes before you launch Live. It's important to realise that when you close an application window by clicking the red X in the top left corner, it still stays running. You can see which are still running by the lights under the icons in the dock. Hold ⌘⇥ Q for a couple of seconds and all active programmes will quit. You may have to skip over Finder as that won't quit.

For more window tricks see the Stay Afloat! page. See also the section on Automator in Organise your desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
peter122

peter122 is on a distinguished road

Great, this thread is really helping me and I know it helps a lot of other user there. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

I hate the fact that in the file menu Apple removed the option for "Save As". Here's how you can still use it.

In 10.7 (Lion), Apple removed the 'Save As' menu item and replaced it with "Duplicate" which did not work the same way. Apple relented in 10.8 (Mountain Lion) by returning "Save As..." but they hid it as an optionalmenu item which would only be shown when you held down the Optionkey while looking at the "File" menu. (There is also a keyboard shortcut for "Save As..." in 10.8, but it is not very convenient: Command + Shift +Option + S.)

// MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 64gb // iPad2 64gb 3G // iPhone4 32gb used as iPod *Current phone Samsung Galaxy Note3* // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Shuffle 2gb Gen4 // iPod Video 80gb // ...Ya I guess you could say I like Apple Products! //
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finding my Files on iPad Mini | Mac OS 10.9 "Mavericks" Released »