New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Is Snow Leopard running hot for you guys?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NICKST3R

NICKST3R will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13in 2.53GHz 4GB DDR3 RAM 250GB HDD and a turbocharger

I just upgraded to SL on my MBP and its running at 70C w/fans at 4000rpm using SMC. I bumped it up to 5000rpm and its at 68C. This is w/mail, firefox, and itunes running. I'm not running on battery either and its fully charged. anyone else notice this?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Actually I'm running cooler. >_>" Usually when I have 50 tabs in firefox, safari, and itunes open it's running around 65. Now it's 60.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

About the same here. It was doing some work right after the upgrade, but it cooled of shortly after that...
QUOTE Thanks
soulreaver99

soulreaver99 will become famous soon enough

Snow Leopard is running cooler for me. Also, the new BootCamp drivers make Windows XP and Vista 64-bit run cooler as well.

Macbook Pro 15" 2011 | Intel Core i7 2.2ghz Quad Core | 8GB RAM | 500GB HDD | Mac OS X (Snow Leopard)
iPhone 4 32GB | iPad 2 16GB | MacBook Air 11" Ultimate
visit the geeks office
QUOTE Thanks
NICKST3R

NICKST3R will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13in 2.53GHz 4GB DDR3 RAM 250GB HDD and a turbocharger

iAntiVirus was taking over the CPU so I disabled the enabled the app. idle at 56C now
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Also running cooler for me according to touch/feel. Haven't run diagnostics to confirm, but too late now cause I have no idea what temps were with Leopard anyways.
QUOTE Thanks
jetmech1

jetmech1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB

My MacBook is running hotter. I can feel it on the bottom side. But I still like SL. My MacBook is quicker, that may explain why it is running hotter.

Mac Mini - 2.5 GHz i5 - 8 GB - 128 GB SSD & 1 TB HD - 2 Apple 23" LCD
15.4" Unibody MBP - 2 MacBook Airs
2 iPads, 3 iPhones, 3 iPods, 1 Apple TV
QUOTE Thanks
CactusVideoGuy

CactusVideoGuy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 15.4" Santa Rosa (C2D, 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD)

I can't quite remember what my temps were running under Leopard, but since bumping to SL last Friday, I have only noticed one or two heat spikes, and those were when I was running intensive apps (FCE, Time Machine) and haven't noticed much else... right now iStat Pro is showing my temps as follows (not all, but two most important): CPU 47C, GPU 55C. Fans aren't spinning up right now - they're sitting around 2K rpm...

Cheers!

You can make some people happy some of the time, but you can never make a PC enthusiast understand the brilliance of the Macintosh OS. Until you put it in front of them.
QUOTE Thanks
NMMI89

NMMI89 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15", 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 500GB/ 60GB 5G iPod/ 160GB 6G iPod/ 8GB Nano/ 32GB 2nd Gen iTouch

My MBP was running really hot after I installed SL. But now it's cooler. No worries.

My mind is the weapon. Everything else is merely an accessory.
QUOTE Thanks
vivekritu

vivekritu is on a distinguished road

My Mac Book Air is hotter and is also freezing up the video playback. I could play all MKV files earlier. Now after 5 minutes they freeze. Very weird.
QUOTE Thanks
MasterCoach

MasterCoach is on a distinguished road

My 15" MacBook Pro is running hotter ever since I installed Snow Leopard. There's an area above the F3 and F4 keys that gets too hot to touch. I'm thinking that Snow Leopard is turning on some hardware components that don't need to be. Anyone have other ideas/suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

My MBP is actually cooler under SL than it was with Leopard.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
DarkestRitual

DarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really niceDarkestRitual is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac

Yes... on average 4-10ºC warmer for me on my aluminum macbook 2GHz.
QUOTE Thanks
Marc van Eldonk

Marc van Eldonk is on a distinguished road

Hello Mac People,

I noticed, like many of you, that a MacBook Pro is running pretty warm.
Especially when running older apps, and the processor is working on avg 80 %,
your Mac easily exceeds 70 C.
Well, you can live with that, but I prefer to keep my Mac as cool as possible.
I do not want my MacBook Pro to end up like many older IILC's, for those that remember this Mac, where many processors got thermal cracks.

Very simple solution.
Showing more then 70 C in your SMC Fan control, running on 5500 rpm.

Just remove the Battery when running of the Power Supply ??!!!
Yes..... thats all.

The temp will drop due to better circulation, and disabling the charging circuit, to about 40 C

I love it.

Marc
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Another little reason the temp drops, is that when you take out the battery and run on power only, the CPU is automatically throttled back. So you're also losing at least a quarter of your processing speed by doing so. Am not going to go look for them myself, but this was documented by several respected hardware sites a couple years ago.

This is not a recommended practice.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unknown Format | Printing from MS/Parallels to Epson via AirPort Express »