New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Snow Leopard supports HTDV display settings

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jpics

jpics is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53

SN now supports HTDV display settings!

this is my Mac Mini hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI adapter

15" MacBook Pro Aluminum, 2.53G / iPhone 3G 16G Black/TimeCapsule 1TB back up and media server/Mac Mini 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo
Whoever said that money cant buy happiness hasnt been to an Apple store 
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Nice, I'll go try that in the morning!

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Cool!

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chrismac

chrismac has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

Thats good news!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Here's my question - did they fix that fricken annoying overscan functionality? I hated either having a picture smaller then my TV or so oversized that the top menu bar was off the screen...

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
Here's my question - did they fix that fricken annoying overscan functionality? I hated either having a picture smaller then my TV or so oversized that the top menu bar was off the screen...
Yep, there's my question. But they're too late for me because I already built a Win box for my HTPC.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light

I had a winbox acting as a HTPC (HP z556 DEC) which was nice - but honestly, I like the mini in place more. Takes up a lot less space and my PS3 is no longer pinned between the HTPC and the shelf above it. I do have my mini to dual boot so I can get into windows XP and use MediaPortal ( MEDIAPORTAL - free media center - Home my personal preference for windows based media center app), but I've been using Plex pretty much permanently on my mini - at least with Plex, it has a sizing capability to adjust for the size of the screen which compensates for overscan.

It'd be nice if I could play bluray on the mini in Plex, but heck, that's the other reason why I have a ps3 (aside from the games )

My mini is so far the ONLY system I haven't upgraded to snow leopard yet, I'm hoping to take care of it today or tomorrow at the latest.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My second and even bigger reason was the fact of no HD-DVD and Blu-Ray play back availability in OS X.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
86Apex

86Apex will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD

Tried it out, the black bars are still there. If I set the output to my HDTV to 1080P I get black bars on both sides of the image, and if I set it to 720P it fills the screen, but I get black bars on the top and bottom on my MacBook. So there's a trade-off. :/

Edit: Never mind, I'm a doofus. This is only when it's set to mirror mode, but since I'll be using the HDTV, it doesn't make a difference if there's black bars on my MacBook when it's outputting 720P. The only problem is still 1080P, which would be nice to have but not necessary. Hope that answers some questions.

"No. No, Mother, I have not been drinking. No. No. These two men, they poured a whole bottle of bourbon into me. No, they didn't give me a chaser."
QUOTE Thanks
Cheezr

Cheezr is on a distinguished road

yes and it also works in tiger and leopard and always had.
if you hook up via dvi -> dvi or dvi -> hdmi, the monitor tells the computer what resolutions are available. I have had my macs hooked up to a 1080p panel since late tiger..

and to the poster asking about overscan, yes there is a checkbox which lets you use or not use overscan.

CZR
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Cheezr - I guess you didn't fully follow my post either - I am fully aware of the overscan checkbox - my problem is that the system w/ overscan puts the controls way outside the screen, w/o overscan puts the display area within a box with about a 2" border around it (or so on a 67" 1080p screen) on my screen. Neither of which are very good for media center systems.

This is a problem I've only had with OSX and not being able to "just" fit the screen without using a third party tool like SwitchResX; and although Plex has a setting to fit its display within screen boundaries, it would be nice to have the top and bottom of the screen within the boundaries of the physical screen when the resolution is set to 1080(i or p doesn't matter) so I can see my menus when I need to do things outside of Plex.

What I was hoping is that the new settings would allow the screen to fit properly without overscan @ 1080.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal has sopped my mac from starting up | window popped up saying "cannot run file in DOS mode" »