New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Snow Leopard keeps dropping DNS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sourcehosting

sourcehosting is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,

I recently switched to a Mac running 10.6.latest as my primary machine and ran into this exact problem. I have a LAN-based DNS server to provide addresses for the other machines on the internal network and two DNS servers provided by my ISP. Intermittently, Firefox would fail to resolve the name of an internal server.

After some searching, I found this page that suggests Apple changed the way DNS servers are queried in Snow Leopard (item #2): Apple - Support - Discussions - Changes in DNS resolution in Mac OS X ...

I found this article and made the suggested changes: OS X 10.6.3 and DNS server priority changes | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

I hope this helps someone else get Snow Leopard to honor DNS server ordering instead of randomizing them.

Cheers,
Greg
QUOTE Thanks
molecule61

molecule61 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem this morning and killing the mDNSResponders fixed it. Thanks for the tip!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Snow Leopard Install Issue | Powerbook G4 Question »