Install OSX Leopard on ibook G4 from Intel iMac
    Is this possible? I don't have a firewire external, but I have a back-up of my OS DVD on my iMac HD(my iBook G4 doesn't have a DVD player only
    burns audio/data), so I was wondering if I could hook my iBook up to my iMac
    and boot off of it? FYI, my ibook meets all the system requirements for Leoepard and the memory is maxed out at 1.25GB. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks and have a good one.
    -CBB

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Did you purchase the Leopard family pack? You can not according to the Apple EULA for Leopard, install the same copy on your iMac and iBook. You need to purchase a separate copy for the iBook.

Besides, the copy of Leopard which is on your iMac is specific for that model and would not install on the iBook. You need to buy the black retail version of Leopard for the iBook.

Regards.

Thanks for your reply, but my back-up copy is from retail leopard install dvd.
    I am not pirating, simply don't have a dvd drive in my iBook G4, as well as no access to a firewire external, to boot from. Hence I would like to use the back-up that is on my iMac Intel HD to install on my iBook G4. Thanks.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    If that retail Leopard DVD is the copy that is running on your iMac, then it is against the EULA to install it on a second machine.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Sorry, but I stated that it's a retail copy of Leopard that I backed up on my iMac. It's not the DVD that came with my iMac, and I already know that it's against the law to use it on another machine, but better yet, it won's install anyway as it's specific to my iMac. So any advice specifically on how to install/boot the back-up of my retail(family pack) DVD from my iMac and install on my iBook G4 greatly appreciated. Thanks, CBB

Specs:
    15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
    It won't work anyway. Intel Macs cannot do a Target Disk Mode install to a PowerPC Mac. PowerPC Macs use a different partition table then Intel, and it will not allow you to install unless formatted as GUID, whereas PowerPC needs Apple Partition Map.

thanks
    well, guess it's not gonna work out. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ADKhikerVW View Post
    It won't work anyway. Intel Macs cannot do a Target Disk Mode install to a PowerPC Mac. PowerPC Macs use a different partition table then Intel, and it will not allow you to install unless formatted as GUID, whereas PowerPC needs Apple Partition Map.
    You could try it the other way around. Put the DVD in the Intel Mac, and then put the Intel Mac in target disk mode. You can then access the DVD as a boot device from the iBook.

Cheers,

Joel

Thread Information