New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.6 - Can't Empty or Secure Empty Trash

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

Hi all,
I have a ton of stuff in my Trash (I haven't emptied it in a while ) and Finder says that "The operation canít be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003)." What is error code -8003, and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2009-08-28 at 5.37.28 PM.jpg (24.8 KB, 32 views)

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Have you tried simply restarting the computer and trying to empty the trash once it boots back up. There may be a file in there that was in use by an application, which won't allow you to delete it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Yes...I was going to suggest the same thing as todd51.

How often are you actually restarting or shutting down your computer versus just putting it to sleep?

If you're accumulating that much stuff in your trash can...you must be "sleeping" it a lot...which sometimes can lead to problems...mostly related to the ram.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

I almost never put it to sleep, I shut it down every night.

After restarting, I still can't empty the trash. After ejecting my Fantom GreenDrive (1TB), Secure Emptying works! I think it's because I deleted some old Time Machine backup files.

QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Yea I've noticed on external drives and even flash drives, if I delete data off of it, I have to actually empty the trash to get the space back on my flash drive.

Kinda weird if you ask me!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

When you reconnect your GreenDrive do not be surprised to find it all back there. Try rebooting with the GreenDrive attached if the problem persists.
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

You are right, harryb2448, I still have those old backup files.

QUOTE Thanks
CornelisA

CornelisA is on a distinguished road

Hi, I just joined the Mac Forums, and I struggle with the "old" problem of having an 8003 error message that tells me I can't empty my trash can.
I haven't seen the answer in the thread so far!? Is there a solution?
Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

Well, I had it because my GreenDrive was attached and I had files from it on my Trash as well as originally from my hard drive. If your external HD has some files in your Trash, move them back out and then empty it.

QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I use main menu to force empty trash in situations like that and it works.
(go to finder/force empty trash in main menu's drop down menu)
Quite often during the process it pauses, and then I cancel the task, and restart the task again.... doing this can take a little time, but it's usually done by the end of a cup of coffee
If you keep the finder window open, you can see the space coming back as the trash disappears, as well seeing when it's stalled, so you know to cancel and restart task.
On occasion main menu quits when doing this, but no need for concern, just restart and continue as before.
QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

go to Terminal and type:
cd ./.Trash
rm -r ./*

but BE CAREFUL WITH THAT you can really screw up your system with this stuff
QUOTE Thanks
syg

syg is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem. Here's how I solved it:
(1) In Finder Preferences, select "Empty Trash Securely"
(2) Empty the Trash. Note that you could do this manually as well without selecting (1) above.
IMPORTANT: This may take a long time, from minutes to hours, depending on how much stuff you have in the Trash.
(3) You should not get the error while doing (2) --- I did not.
(4) Deselect "Empty Trash Securely" in Finder Preferences.
(5) Delete a file as a test and empty the trash.

It should now work. Again, it does for me.
QUOTE Thanks
rcarbuccia

rcarbuccia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathe View Post
go to Terminal and type:
cd ./.Trash
rm -r ./*

but BE CAREFUL WITH THAT you can really screw up your system with this stuff
Thanks, this worked perfectly! I recommend this approach to anyone.
QUOTE Thanks
dvnhndrsn

dvnhndrsn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: SL 10.6.4, MacBook (Aug 08), Win7 via Parallels 6.

Hello,

I'm having the same issue. It started when my iTunes refused to open; I tried to re-install it and the Installer kept crashing or telling me:

"The Installer canít open the package. There may be a problem with file ownership or permissions."

I trashed iTunes and then tried to empty my Trash, to no avail. I tried the Secure Empty Trash but it was saying I had something like 40,000 items in my trash, and last time I checked that was certainly not the case (I empty my trash on a regular basis), so I chickened out of that. I tried the Terminal solution but I get this as a response:

rm: illegal option -- .
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
unlink file

How do I fix this? I can't empty my Trash, I can't get iTunes to work, and I want access to my Christmas music Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

You probably need to type sudo before the rm command. You will be prompted for your password after hitting the return key.

sudo rm -r .Trash

Type it only in your user's home directory.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Ė Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe programs freezing on certain actions - imac 27'', OS X 10.6.2 | G5 problems powering down and apps freezing »