New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Wait in line for Snow Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Good idea Chris. For the heck of it, I'm going to attempt to do the update to my MBP via remote disk instead of my USB Superdrive (after a bootable backup of course).

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Hello everybody. Just wondering - should I expect long lines for 10.6 Snow Leopard when it comes out? Should I consider purchasing from an independent retailer to avoid the crowds?

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Well i suppose that depends on where you live.
For me in a little place in Australia i went in and pre ordered mine a week ago and i know for a fact that the lines wont be that long at the store where i am going to pick my copy up from.

those who pre ordered can walk in with receipt and they will hand a copy over straight away.
My prediction is for me is 5 minutes maximum

15hrs to go

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
Hello everybody. Just wondering - should I expect long lines for 10.6 Snow Leopard when it comes out? Should I consider purchasing from an independent retailer to avoid the crowds?
I would certainly expect most Apple Stores to be pretty darn busy this Friday & this weekend! With the release of Snow Leopard why wouldn't they be extra busy.

BTW...a lot of Apple Stores I've been to while shopping on weekends are always very busy & sometimes crowded...so the release of Snow Leopard will just make it worse!

I'm sort of curious to know if some stores are going to run out of stock of Snow Leopard...especially considering the low $29.00 upgrade disk price (if you already have 10.5 installed).

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be standing at the front of the line at my mailbox, outside my house. LOL

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
Me too, only I'm having it delivered to work. As soon as I get to install it in a few different ways and compare the pros and cons, I think I'm going to post up a FAQ here. Seems we're getting flooded already.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Good idea Chris. For the heck of it, I'm going to attempt to do the update to my MBA via remote disk instead of my USB Superdrive (after a bootable backup of course). I may try it on the Mini as well, since my '09 has the remote "Disk in Finder" glitch.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
I got a feeling there are going to be a lot of people tomorrow staring out of the front window of their homes waiting for the mailman/mailperson to arrive!

In fact...since the 10.6 upgrade is arriving on a Friday...it would be interesting to know how many "over the top" excited Mac users took the day off from work just to play with the new OS!

Whether they get the disk in the mail...or run to the nearest Apple Store as soon as it opens to get their copy.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Do I need to bring in something to show that I have Leopard?

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Do I need to bring in something to show that I have Leopard?
No one knows for sure yet...but if I was to guess, I would doubt it.

If there was a requirement, Apple would have posted something on their website.

Can you imagine how many upset customers there would be if they drove all the way to the Apple Store to be told they have to prove they own 10.5...and then have to run back home to get it!!!

WHOA...what a PR mess that would be!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Yeah, there's no way. Cause what if you're buying it as a gift for someone else who has 10.5 and you don't even own a Mac? Or if you plan to purchase a used Intel-based Mac with Leopard on it and do the upgrade later.

Doesn't make sense that you would have to provide proof of having 10.5 on your machine.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Oh, OK. Thanks guys!

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Oh, OK. Thanks guys!
Hey...a couple of months ago after 10.6 release date was announced...I asked the very same question to a couple Apple Store employees..and they didn't know (I guess it was way too early).

But since Apple posted all the info on their website...and didn't mention anything about needing to prove 10.5 ownership...I think we are safe!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

Hey, if you look at my post at the top of the page, I was way ahead of the curve. I was talking about this in 2004 apparently, before the MBA or 10.6 were a twinkle in Steve's eye.

QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

What the heck happened there?

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will Snow Leopard erase downloaded applications? | How do I get my Mac to run faster? »