New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - How to upgrade from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard..?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rizzo

Rizzo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone

Hi everyone I'm not too familiar with upgrading software as this is my first mac. I have a 1st generation Macbook Pro still running OS X 10.4.11. I'm thinking it's about time to upgrade but have no idea what I need. Can anyone help me out real quick? Thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

It depends what you want to do...do you want to upgrade to 10.5 Leopard or Snow Leopard 10.6.

If 10.6 (and since you currently have 10.4.11 on your computer)...you would want to purchase the "Mac Box Set" currently available for pre-order for $169.

One word of warning...you will want to make sure that all of the software (applications) you use are compatible with OS 10.6. Otherwise, maybe you should upgrade to 10.5 "Leopard"...which costs $129 at the Apple Store.

Hope this helps,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Rizzo

Rizzo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone

Ok thanks for your reply. I'm kinda strapped for cash right now so I guess I'll hold off for now...
QUOTE Thanks
blind_30

blind_30 is on a distinguished road

I also have a few questions concerning this so i thought it would be appropriate to post here.
My question is if you are upgrading from 10.4.11 to 10.6, which i plan to do, will there be an archive and install or will i only be able to do a clean install or whatever. Also i was wondering if archive and install would be a good choice upgrading from tiger or if it would be better just to keep what i want on backup and do a clean install
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_30 View Post
I also have a few questions concerning this so i thought it would be appropriate to post here.
My question is if you are upgrading from 10.4.11 to 10.6, which i plan to do, will there be an archive and install or will i only be able to do a clean install or whatever. Also i was wondering if archive and install would be a good choice upgrading from tiger or if it would be better just to keep what i want on backup and do a clean install
I believe the "archive & install" option has been part of almost all OS 10 upgrades...so I would have no reason to believe it wouldn't be part of 10.6.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I believe the "archive & install" option has been part of almost all OS 10 upgrades...so I would have no reason to believe it wouldn't be part of 10.6.

- Nick
According to Engadget, the Archive and Install option has been removed, however they infer that is indeed what is going on behind the scenes now when a standard upgrade is performed.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Upgrading to Snow Leopard FAQ

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
According to Engadget, the Archive and Install option has been removed, however they infer that is indeed what is going on behind the scenes now when a standard upgrade is performed.
Very interesting.

I wonder if this only applies to the $29.00 upgrade option...since technically (to be confirmed tomorrow)...the $29 disk is most likely only an upgrade...so there would be no "old system" to "archive"...because the current system is just being "patched/upgraded".

As opposed to the 10.6 "Mac Box Set"...which most likely (to be confirmed tomorrow) contains the full install of 10.6. I would be very surprised if the "archive & install" option was removed from this product.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Very interesting.

I wonder if this only applies to the $29.00 upgrade option...since technically (to be confirmed tomorrow)...the $29 disk is most likely only an upgrade...so there would be no "old system" to "archive"...because the current system is just being "patched/upgraded".

As opposed to the 10.6 "Mac Box Set"...which most likely (to be confirmed tomorrow) contains the full install of 10.6. I would be very surprised if the "archive & install" option was removed from this product.

- Nick
According to all the sources I've seen, the $29 disk is a full install and will work with Tiger. Whether it is advisable to do this for both legal and technical reasons is a question that remains unanswered at this time.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
According to all the sources I've seen, the $29 disk is a full install and will work with Tiger. Whether it is advisable to do this for both legal and technical reasons is a question that remains unanswered at this time.
WHOA!!! That would be a BIG surprise to me if the $29 upgrade disk was a full install!!!

Why the heck would OS 10.4 users want to buy the $169 Mac Box Set...when they could get a full install of 10.6 for $29 bucks (and I seriously doubt that it would be to get iLife & iWork 09)?

I would be very very pleasantly surprised if the $29 upgrade disk is a full install...unless it contains some sort of "sub-program" that looks for a copy of 10.5 on the hard drive before installing...which a 10.4 computer wouldn't pass the check.

We shall see,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
WHOA!!! That would be a BIG surprise to me if the $29 upgrade disk was a full install!!!

Why the heck would OS 10.4 users want to buy the $169 Mac Box Set...when they could get a full install of 10.6 for $29 bucks (and I seriously doubt that it would be to get iLife & iWork 09)?

I would be very very pleasantly surprised if the $29 upgrade disk is a full install...unless it contains some sort of "sub-program" that looks for a copy of 10.5 on the hard drive before installing...which a 10.4 computer wouldn't pass the check.

We shall see,

- Nick
Check out Walt Mossberg's review.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I will thanks!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Ok, so I read the "engadget" review by Joshua Topolsky.

And the significant statement in the review relating to the install disks was:

"If you're still on Tiger, well, you'll have to decide whether or not you want to drop $130 on what's essentially a spit-shined Leopard,"

I then read the "All Things Digital" article (part of the Wall Street Journal "family") written by Walt Mossberg, and as you know he says:

"...for owners of Intel-based Macs who are still using the older Tiger version of the Mac OS, Apple is officially making Snow Leopard available only in a “boxed set” that includes other software and costs $169. The reasoning is that these folks never paid the $129 back in 2007 to upgrade to Leopard. But here’s a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140."

Walt Mossberg's statement seems pretty darn straight-forward...but then the "engadget" review seems to contradict. Unless "engadget" is just playing it safe by not letting the "cat out of the bag" and upsetting Apple!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The big question is whether the licensing agreement included with the $30 set allows you to install it on a Mac without Leopard.

There are always cheap ways to do things if you're willing to lie, cheat, and steal.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
It depends what you want to do...do you want to upgrade to 10.5 Leopard or Snow Leopard 10.6.

If 10.6 (and since you currently have 10.4.11 on your computer)...you would want to purchase the "Mac Box Set" currently available for pre-order for $169.
Well, yeah, if you want the new versions of iLife and iWork as well. However, many sources are reporting that the $29 upgrade disc will install without having Leopard pre-installed, so if you have Tiger, that works. Check out the discussion over at Apple Insider.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Changing OS X Sleep Login background | Entourage - cause of slow running Mac »