New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - The new mac OS snow leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

simo719

simo719 is on a distinguished road

I am aware of the new mac operating system snow leopard soon to be available and i am interested in upgrade from my mas osx 10.5. but have one question that i hope smeone will be able to anwser for me and that is, if/when i upgrade will i lose everything on my mac and therefore have to back up everything, or will it be ok?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

It will be ok!

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It should be fine, but you should make a backup just in case something goes wrong.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

More than likely you'll have two different options for the install. Usually there is a "clean" install which will completely wipe your hard drive (you will lose everything unless you backup). Then there is another option where you can upgrade, which leaves your hard drive with all of it's contents, just upgrade the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Actually OS X has the 3 installation options.

1. Clean install - Wipe your HD and install the new OS fresh.
2. Archive and Install - Puts about 95% of your data into a folder and installs your new OS fresh. Like the above but it keeps your data. But not your system preferences.
3. Standard Install (I forget the name but that's close enough). That over-writes your system data with the new OS data. And leaves everything, preferences included exactly as they were before the installation.

Personally I just use option 3. I've never had any problems in the past. But if you want to make a system/HD backup for be extra safe and extra sure then it's not a bad idea.
QUOTE Thanks
simo719

simo719 is on a distinguished road

awsome thanks guys for those getting snow leopard i hope u enjoy hehe
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Removing Keychain entries from Time Machine disk | vmware fusion running on Snow Leopard OS 10.6? »