Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
    Need to Install 10.5, dont have Admin password
    I need to install 10.5 on a G4 Mac but I dont have "administrator" privileges. I have the retail Leopard Disc but I cant install it. I also dont care about what the computer has, all the data can go (erase and install). Any hints?

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by rzj90059 View Post
    I need to install 10.5 on a G4 Mac but I dont have "administrator" privileges. I have the retail Leopard Disc but I cant install it. I also dont care about what the computer has, all the data can go (erase and install). Any hints?
    You should be able to "boot" from the 10.5 install DVD...and have no installation issues.

I have never been presented with an "Admin" password authentication when installing from a "booted" DVD. When you select which type of install to do are you selecting the "fresh" copy install vs. the "archive current system" install?

- Nick

p.s. I guess I also should ask...why don't you have the Admin password...is this your computer?

Specs:
    I know what u mean, Ive used the same disc to install on several macbook pros and it works perfectly fine. When I try to boot it from the desktop it tells me to enter a admin pw. I try to boot from start up using c but no success. Then i hold the option key at startup to select what to boot from and i get a picture that has a lock on the left, password entry bar in the middle, and right arrow on the right

Specs:
    I know what u mean, Ive used the same disc to install on several macbook pros and it works perfectly fine. When I try to boot it from the desktop it tells me to enter a admin pw. I try to boot from start up using c but no success. Then i hold the option key at startup to select what to boot from and i get a picture that has a lock on the left, password entry bar in the middle, and right arrow on the right
    Hmmm...that sounds strange. But it sounds like you have done this before...so you know what I mean about booting from the DVD & not having any install problems.

I'm not sure what to say. Maybe someone else will "stop in"...and have a suggestion.

Sorry,

- Nick

Specs:
    Im actually running 10.3, sorry but this is the image i get when I hold option at start up

Specs:
    Im actually running 10.3, sorry but this is the image i get when I hold option at start up
    Interesting...I don't think I've sen that before. I wonder if it's a OS 10.3 thing!

I think that picture should help get an answer.

What happens if when you hold down the "c" key on startup?

- Nick

p.s. Are you sure this computer does not have some sort of "Theft Recovery" software on it!

Specs:
    When I hold down C, it just starts up as normal.

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Have you ever used Firmware Protection Password software on your Mac, as the inability to boot from disc holding down 'C' etc is typical of firmware password protection?

Have a look at this link from Apple and just look at the icon of this software halfway down the page:-

Setting up firmware password protection in Mac OS X

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Have you ever used Firmware Protection Password software on your Mac, as the inability to boot from disc holding down 'C' etc is typical of firmware password protection?

Have a look at this link from Apple and just look at the icon of this software halfway down the page:-

Interesting! But no I wouldn't know about the firmware protection as I picked up this tower at a yard sale for a measly $30. So I took my chances. But obviously with that said, no I don't know any history about it.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post

Thanks for that idea Harry! Very interesting suggestion...thanks for the link as well!

+1

- Nick

Specs:
    When I hold down C, it just starts up as normal.
    That's really not the answer I expected. What happens if you boot up the computer with the "c" key pressed...with the Mac OS install CD in the CD drive?

The computer should boot up with the CD...and then you should be able to proceed with the install.

- Nick

Specs:
    Interesting! But no I wouldn't know about the firmware protection as I picked up this tower at a yard sale for a measly $30. So I took my chances. But obviously with that said, no I don't know any history about it.
    If Harry is correct...and your computer has a firmware password on it...you do have two options you could consider:

- you could try entering some very commonly used passwords...trial & error...including no password.
    - you could try contacting the folks who had the yard sale...and ask them if they know the password.

- Nick

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    If Harry is correct...and your computer has a firmware password on it...you do have two options you could consider:

- you could try entering some very commonly used passwords...trial & error...including no password.
    - you could try contacting the folks who had the yard sale...and ask them if they know the password.

- Nick
    No the computer did not boot holding C.

I did, out of desperation, removed the HDD and put it in an external enclosure and I am cloning it as we speak from my working Aluminum MBP, hoping there isnt any issues. Then with that done, I am hoping to reinstall Leopard.

How does that sound?

todd51
    Wow I learn something new about Macs every day!

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Cloning it may well pass the firmware password security onto the MacBook Pro and you still will not know the password lol!

To remove firmware password read the link posted earlier. You de-activate it in OS X.4 and OS X.5 use the install DVD and that is the only way alas! Go to the Application, deselect, erase password etc and close, reboot and all should (fingers AND toes crossed) well.

Please do not tell us you do not have the Tiger OS install DVD?

Thread Information