New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - OEM fan control code

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joejoe

joejoe is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me where the mac oem fan control code is and how to change it. I run 10.5.8

Story is...
I took apart my mbp to clean out the fans and replace the thermal grease. (I know run about 50 degrees C less, YAY!) but now for some reason my fans run consistently at 6k rpm. My temp is about 40c, so no need for 6k rpm on the fans. I have smcfancontroll but it will not change the fan speed. I think something went wrong and i would like to replace the oem fan control code with a copy of new code that i know works.
Can anyone help me. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try this Link. And download "Cooler Apple.PDF" and follow the directions given. Don't know if that will help you or not, but worth a try.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
joejoe

Thanks that link was good, but i couldn't locate those plist files the author mentioned.....
"Rokem achieved the temperature reduction by modifying the plist files in AppleBlower.ktext and AppleFan.ktext. Essentially, he edited the speed values for both fans so they kick on a little sooner and run a bit faster."

Any tips on how to locate these files, I have a hunch they are now different since this article was written in 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I think you're right, file names have probably changed or a different method is being used. I just used two different search engines on my machine and could not locate either file. If I run across anything else that might be helpful, I'll post it to you in the same thread.

Also, there is a chance that the run away fan speeds may be due to a hardware defect perhaps caused by applying the thermal heat paste. Have you gone back over your work to check that everything is the way it's supposed to be?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Hey, it's me again. I found the files! They're buried so deep that both my search engines couldn't find them. They're the same names.

Here's where they are:

1. /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBlower.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleBlower

2. /System/Library/Extensions/AppleFan.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleFan

Good luck and let me know if it works.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
joejoe

Thank you all so much. Thank you chscag! I fixed it. I forgot to re-connect the left temperature sensor. I opened her up again and retraced my steps and saw that the left sensor was not connected. All working now.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe View Post
Thank you all so much. Thank you chscag! I fixed it. I forgot to re-connect the left temperature sensor. I opened her up again and retraced my steps and saw that the left sensor was not connected. All working now.
I'm an electronic tech of many years experience and I wish I had a buck for all the times I forgot to hook something up when repairing a piece of electronic equipment. Happens to the best of us.

Anyway, glad you got it all sorted out. Have fun.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard Install DVD not booting. | Canon Laser LBP 1210 printer driver »