Specs:
    Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB
    Forgot login password
    I recently sold my Macbook and before I sold it, I installed a fresh copy of leopard on it. I set the username to: Apple and password to: 12345. The new owner said that he couldn't log in. He kept getting he message invalid password.

I spoke to him over the phone and had him put the install disc in. He selected "Utilities>Reset password>Macintosh HD. I told him to select the Username name "Apple" from the drop down box. But he said the only thing in the drop down box is "System Administrator (Root).

Can anybody tell me what I'm suppose to do. Should I tell him to select System Administrator since my Username "Apple " is not in the drop down box?

Please Help
    Please give me more APPLES!

Specs:
    MacBook
    NOTE: Nothing to do with Notebook Hardware. Moved to Software forum.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 5K, 512GB Flash Storage, 3.3Ghz, 16GB memory, OS X.11.5.
    No doubt you included the Leopard disc or it was an illegal install. Just get him to use the install DVD to change the user and password details.

Specs:
    Everything is legal. I provided him with the install disc. So he popped it in selected Utilities>Password Reset but the hard drive was not listed, just the install disc.

I told him that he had to do a complete system install. Unfortunately for him, its going to be Tiger because I didn't include my Mac OS X disc with the macbook....just the install disc.

I don't know if this is going to work but I also had him drag apps to the external hard drive and once Tiger is finish installing, drag them back to the Macbook>Applications folder. Will these apps still work?

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by plmiller0905 View Post
    Everything is legal. I provided him with the install disc.
    Okay.

I didn't include my Mac OS X disc with the macbook.
    ...well, which is it?

If you gave him a computer with Tiger installed and included the install/restore discs to support that, then you're fine.

If you installed Leopard, then only supplied him with discs to restore to Tiger without also including the original discs for Leopard as well... then you did break the EULA... making it an illegitimate install of Leopard.

MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

Specs:
    For your information, EVERYTHING IS LEGAL !!!!

I WORK IN LAW ENFORCEMENT AND WOULD NEVER...NEVER BREAK THE LAW OF ANY KIND. NOW WITH THAT SAID, I FORGOT TO SHIP THE LEOPARD DISC TO HIM. I DIDN'T REALIZE IT UNTIL AFTER HE RECEIVED IT AND WE HAD THE PASSWORD ISSUES. HE REINSTALLED TIGER FOR NOW AND WILL INSTALL LEOPARD ONCE HE RECEIVES THE DISCS.

FURTHERMORE, IF SELLING AN APPLE COMPUTER WITH A COPY OF LEOPARD ON IT AND NOT INCLUDING THE LEOPARD INSTALL DISC IS ILLEGAL, MAYBE YOU SHOULD EMAIL EBAY BECAUSE MOSTLY EVERYONE ON EBAY THAT SELLS AN APPLE COMPUTER AND HAS LEOPARD INSTALLED ON IT, DOESN'T INCLUDE THE INSTALL DISC. I HAVE BOUGHT 4 MACS OFF EBAY AND ALL 4 HAD LEOPARD INSTALLED ON IT AND NOT ONCE DID I RECEIVE ANY LEOPARD INSTALL DISC.

Specs:
    MacBook

FURTHERMORE, IF SELLING AN APPLE COMPUTER WITH A COPY OF LEOPARD ON IT AND NOT INCLUDING THE LEOPARD INSTALL DISC IS ILLEGAL, MAYBE YOU SHOULD EMAIL EBAY BECAUSE MOSTLY EVERYONE ON EBAY THAT SELLS AN APPLE COMPUTER AND HAS LEOPARD INSTALLED ON IT, DOESN'T INCLUDE THE INSTALL DISC.
    Selling an Apple computer without the install discs does in fact violate the Apple EULA.
    It's good to know that you're sending it to him.

I can and have notified eBay if I see a listing that doesn't include it.
    You can contact them by using the "Report Item" link including on all auctions.

If you do, eBay will (and they have) pull the auction and notify the seller.

...and there is a key directly to the right of your "A" key. You might want to check it, I think it's stuck.

Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    I recently sold my Macbook and before I sold it, I installed a fresh copy of leopard on it. I set the username to: Apple and password to: 12345. The new owner said that he couldn't log in. He kept getting he message invalid password.

I spoke to him over the phone and had him put the install disc in. He selected "Utilities>Reset password>Macintosh HD. I told him to select the Username name "Apple" from the drop down box. But he said the only thing in the drop down box is "System Administrator (Root).

Can anybody tell me what I'm suppose to do. Should I tell him to select System Administrator since my Username "Apple " is not in the drop down box?

Please Help
    Is he booting off the install disk?

Thread Information