New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - intermittent internet problems with Time Capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nick_harambee

nick_harambee is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have the following set up for internet in the UK. TalkTalk broadband (8 meg) through BT landline - Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL Ethernet Modem - Time Capsule - Wireless n to Macs.

I am experiencing two problems, one that a couple of times a day the Time Capsule starts flashing orange and in Airport Utility the problem generally appears to be with the PPPoE server. Sometimes the issue spontaneously resolves itself within a couple of minutes. Other times I have to restart both the TC and the modem and then I get a green light and everything works again. I was experiencing similar problems with a previous modem and specifically bought the Draytek modem which translates the PPPoA service from TalkTalk to PPPoE which the TC prefers (as i understand it), but still I am experiencing the same issue.

The second issue I am experiencing, which is a common experience, occurring maybe half the time I use the internet is that I need to reload web pages a lot to get them to load. So I might click on eBay say and the page doesn't seem to want to load at all, so I either cancel the loading or try clicking again on the bookmark again (or a link) and if i'm lucky it will then load quickly. If not I will have to try again. This seems to happen more with some websites than others, and emptying the cache seems to help, but the problem soon re-emerges.

I am not sure if these two issues are interrelated, but it all adds up to a fairly frustrating online experience. I am not sure whether the issue is with the ISP, the modem, the TC, or some combination of these. I experience the same problems regardless of which Mac I am using (there are three in the house) and which browser, so I am presuming that the issue is not with the Macs, but why clearing the cache would help I am not sure.

I would be grateful for any help in resolving these issues

Thanks

Nick

OS X 10.5.7
Mac Pro
2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB RAM
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« firefox, safari, mail all running slow | sharing mailbox »