New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Archive and installing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

For a few apparent reasons i need to "archive and install"
When i do i know this will reinstall the os.
I have backed up my whole system to a external HD
I have all latest updates for the OS from 10.5.6 ~ 10.5.8 and all included software as well as 3rd party software like my eyeTV

My Question is
When i run the "Archive and install " the system backs up all my data to the folder "previous system", will it back up all my current up-dates ????

Im guessing not but am asking in the hope that it will..
Would hate to have to download all updates again..
Cheers and thanks in advance

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It's very rare that UNIX-based operating system needs to be reinstalled. Before doing that, there are a number of things you can try, this should really only be done as a last resort. Unfortunately, a lot of us long-time Windows sufferers are stuck in this mindset that a reinstall is needed periodically when there are certain baffling problems.

An Archive & Install will preserve the previous OS and all data/documents/applications on the drive. When it finishes, you will be left with whatever version of OS X was on your original media. So, that means you will need to run Software Update to get up-to-date. You may also have to reinstall certain software that makes modifications to OS directories.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Ok thanks cwa107 I understand that its last resort
Further to that on another thread i made concerning Problems in my dock i have had no joy with a solution......

Another question to ad to the furore ..... the updates i have downloaded on this system are they in a file somewhere where i could move to a flash drive so IF i do a "archive and install" i can install the updates when the OS has reinstlled
Cheers

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

After doing the install suggest going to the Apple web site and downloading the X.5.8 combo updater and also Security Update 2009-004. That way your Macx shall be right up to date. if applications transfer well and good but be ready for fresh install of Office and big programs as sometimes they will not transfer as cwa107 suggests.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

and then:-

Security Update 2009-004 (Leopard)
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

you have backed up your whole system to an Ext HD - what happens if u boot off of the Ext HD - any problems? if no, then copy back across from your backup.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Well certainly sounds like this re installing the os is more trouble than its worth
Then again i do love my dashboard ( which doesnt work anymore) and my dock with invisible icons and not being able to remove unwanted icons.

To boot from external HD command~option~shift~delete???
Or from the cd option when starting up ???
Sorry new to mac and i want to do it right without stuffing up the whole system...
Just cant seem to find a straight forward tutorial for the newbies who need to do such things
Just after the wise peoples take on it
Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Actually, doing what you want to do is very simple. The above statements may make it sound hard but it's not. Remember, this isn't Windows and your making this harder than it needs to be.

To boot from the CD/DVD insert the disc then reboot the machine and hold down the C key.

The archive and install will install a brand new copy of the OS on your machine, but it will move your personal profile to that new system. When you reboot everything should look exactly the same. You can then simply run the update or download the updates as mentioned above, install and be done. The old OS will go into a folder called "previous system" that will stay on the drive until you choose to delete it. Anything in there that you want can be pulled out to the current system quickly and easily.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Gents who have all helped me .... problem solved
Love my mac so simple really and im learning every day
Only things looks like i need update in is safari itunes and the os
Stoked and thanks again

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac G3 Running 9.1, now gone | Problems in my dock »