New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - What applications come with a new Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macgirl2423

macgirl2423 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB

Hello everyone
I really hope I don't end up sounding unintelligent for asking this. I was just wondering if there is a list of all the applications that come on a new Macbook Pro on apple's website or somewhere else. I know it comes with iTunes, iCal, iMovie, iChat, iPhoto, Garage band, and Safari. I'm sure that can't be everything so any help or insight would be great.

what is today but yesterday's tommorrow?
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

I don't know if there's a list posted anywhere, but you would also get:
- Pages
- Numbers
- Keynote
- Mail
- Internet Explorer? (undeveloped and no good anymore - I'm not sure if they still load that one).

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Check here. Look about halfway down, right hand side.

EDIT: @iPod Nano, you only get iWork if you request it preinstalled and IE is ancient - it was only really included as a browser before Safari existed (it was included with 10.3 as well but not as the default - source).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Well, it doesn't come with Pages, Numbers, or Keynote, you would have to purchase "iWork 09" in order to get those applications. And no Internet Explorer either.

Here's a link to a Leopard FAQ which gives (somewhat) a list of what's included in addition to those you mentioned in your original post.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

^Hmm. Okay. Sorry about that. I know I got IE on my MacBook which came with 10.5!

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

You would also get iLife

Most of the things you associate with day to day tasks (calculator, text edit etc) are there as well.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
I know I got IE on my MacBook which came with 10.5!
You did? Did you buy it second hand?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Refurb from Apple. So yeah, I guess you could say it was kind of second hand.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

IE for OSX was dropped long ago. It's not come installed on any Mac since somewhere around 10.3 came out. IE came with 10.2 Jaguar and on Macs sold at that time. For sure by 10.4 Tiger IE was long gone.

I am not sure about todays Macs but they used to bundle a Trial of iLife that was good for 90 days with new Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
macgirl2423

Mac Specs: 2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Check here. Look about halfway down, right hand side.

EDIT: @iPod Nano, you only get iWork if you request it preinstalled and IE is ancient - it was only really included as a browser before Safari existed (it was included with 10.3 as well but not as the default - source).
Ive looked at that page many times and somehow I missed that. thanks vansmith :]
Does anyone know if it still comes with something called sticky notes(or something along those lines), my Mothers boyfriend gave me a really old mac that I no longer use and I loved that application.

QUOTE Thanks
macgirl2423

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
IE for OSX was dropped long ago. It's not come installed on any Mac since somewhere around 10.3 came out. IE came with 10.2 Jaguar and on Macs sold at that time. For sure by 10.4 Tiger IE was long gone.

I am not sure about todays Macs but they used to bundle a Trial of iLife that was good for 90 days with new Macs.
So all the applications that come with iLife are just trial software?

QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

^No. iLife will come fully loaded and functional. For an additional fee, you can get iWork too if you want. Everything else (iTunes, Safari, iCal, Mail, etc.) come free with the machine.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Correct. If Wikipedia is right, it came with 10.3 but not as the default - 10.3 was the first release to include Safari and it was made the default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
^No. iLife will come fully loaded and functional. For an additional fee, you can get iWork too if you want. Everything else (iTunes, Safari, iCal, Mail, etc.) come free with the machine.
Absolutely. iLife is now part of what you get when you buy a new Mac. Now, if you want to upgrade to a new version, you have to pay for that.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Correct. If Wikipedia is right, it came with 10.3 but not as the default - 10.3 was the first release to include Safari and it was made the default.

Absolutely. iLife is now part of what you get when you buy a new Mac. Now, if you want to upgrade to a new version, you have to pay for that.
What I mean is that it's not trial software.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl2423 View Post
Ive looked at that page many times and somehow I missed that. thanks vansmith :]
Does anyone know if it still comes with something called sticky notes(or something along those lines), my Mothers boyfriend gave me a really old mac that I no longer use and I loved that application.
There is a standard app in OS X called Stickies I think this is the app you are talking about, so yes it does
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot add a printer in a different subnet | mac mail, sent items disappeared »