Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1

    macgirl2423's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 04, 2009
    Posts
    71
    Specs:
    2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB
    What applications come with a new Mac?
    Hello everyone
    I really hope I don't end up sounding unintelligent for asking this. I was just wondering if there is a list of all the applications that come on a new Macbook Pro on apple's website or somewhere else. I know it comes with iTunes, iCal, iMovie, iChat, iPhoto, Garage band, and Safari. I'm sure that can't be everything so any help or insight would be great.
    what is today but yesterday's tommorrow?

  2. #2

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    I don't know if there's a list posted anywhere, but you would also get:
    - Pages
    - Numbers
    - Keynote
    - Mail
    - Internet Explorer? (undeveloped and no good anymore - I'm not sure if they still load that one).
    Chris K.

  3. #3

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Check here. Look about halfway down, right hand side.

    EDIT: @iPod Nano, you only get iWork if you request it preinstalled and IE is ancient - it was only really included as a browser before Safari existed (it was included with 10.3 as well but not as the default - source).
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  4. #4

    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    48,805
    Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Well, it doesn't come with Pages, Numbers, or Keynote, you would have to purchase "iWork 09" in order to get those applications. And no Internet Explorer either.

    Here's a link to a Leopard FAQ which gives (somewhat) a list of what's included in addition to those you mentioned in your original post.

    Regards.

  5. #5

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    ^Hmm. Okay. Sorry about that. I know I got IE on my MacBook which came with 10.5!
    Chris K.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    May 02, 2009
    Posts
    480
    Specs:
    MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
    You would also get iLife

    Most of the things you associate with day to day tasks (calculator, text edit etc) are there as well.

  7. #7

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
    I know I got IE on my MacBook which came with 10.5!
    You did? Did you buy it second hand?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  8. #8

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    Refurb from Apple. So yeah, I guess you could say it was kind of second hand.
    Chris K.

  9. #9

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,932
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    IE for OSX was dropped long ago. It's not come installed on any Mac since somewhere around 10.3 came out. IE came with 10.2 Jaguar and on Macs sold at that time. For sure by 10.4 Tiger IE was long gone.

    I am not sure about todays Macs but they used to bundle a Trial of iLife that was good for 90 days with new Macs.

  10. #10

    macgirl2423's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 04, 2009
    Posts
    71
    Specs:
    2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Check here. Look about halfway down, right hand side.

    EDIT: @iPod Nano, you only get iWork if you request it preinstalled and IE is ancient - it was only really included as a browser before Safari existed (it was included with 10.3 as well but not as the default - source).
    Ive looked at that page many times and somehow I missed that. thanks vansmith :]
    Does anyone know if it still comes with something called sticky notes(or something along those lines), my Mothers boyfriend gave me a really old mac that I no longer use and I loved that application.
    what is today but yesterday's tommorrow?

  11. #11

    macgirl2423's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 04, 2009
    Posts
    71
    Specs:
    2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    IE for OSX was dropped long ago. It's not come installed on any Mac since somewhere around 10.3 came out. IE came with 10.2 Jaguar and on Macs sold at that time. For sure by 10.4 Tiger IE was long gone.

    I am not sure about todays Macs but they used to bundle a Trial of iLife that was good for 90 days with new Macs.
    So all the applications that come with iLife are just trial software?
    what is today but yesterday's tommorrow?

  12. #12

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    ^No. iLife will come fully loaded and functional. For an additional fee, you can get iWork too if you want. Everything else (iTunes, Safari, iCal, Mail, etc.) come free with the machine.
    Chris K.

  13. #13

    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,782
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    IE for OSX was dropped long ago. It's not come installed on any Mac since somewhere around 10.3 came out. IE came with 10.2 Jaguar and on Macs sold at that time. For sure by 10.4 Tiger IE was long gone.
    Correct. If Wikipedia is right, it came with 10.3 but not as the default - 10.3 was the first release to include Safari and it was made the default.

    Quote Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
    ^No. iLife will come fully loaded and functional. For an additional fee, you can get iWork too if you want. Everything else (iTunes, Safari, iCal, Mail, etc.) come free with the machine.
    Absolutely. iLife is now part of what you get when you buy a new Mac. Now, if you want to upgrade to a new version, you have to pay for that.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  14. #14

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Correct. If Wikipedia is right, it came with 10.3 but not as the default - 10.3 was the first release to include Safari and it was made the default.

    Absolutely. iLife is now part of what you get when you buy a new Mac. Now, if you want to upgrade to a new version, you have to pay for that.
    What I mean is that it's not trial software.
    Chris K.

  15. #15

    RNDdave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 04, 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,063
    Specs:
    MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
    Quote Originally Posted by macgirl2423 View Post
    Ive looked at that page many times and somehow I missed that. thanks vansmith :]
    Does anyone know if it still comes with something called sticky notes(or something along those lines), my Mothers boyfriend gave me a really old mac that I no longer use and I loved that application.
    There is a standard app in OS X called Stickies I think this is the app you are talking about, so yes it does

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Best 103 Mac applications
    By louishen in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM
  2. [ASK] about applications in MAC
    By palalism in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 06:18 AM
  3. Mac Equiv. Applications?
    By boberonicus in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 01:22 AM
  4. Apple Macintosh OS 9 Applications (Mac Classic), Mac OS 9 Applications
    By nounousomes in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-31-2006, 08:40 AM
  5. How to make applications run without sticking them in the applications folder
    By andrew.glesener in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 05:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •