New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - i lost everything except my applications

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ijcproductions

ijcproductions is an unknown at this point

hey everyone, im new to this forum so excuse me if i did anything wrong. But right now im using mac osx 10.4.11 on a regular macbook. Anyway, i was at my friends house and he got a new mac mac book pro. So we decided to use his start up disk in my mac to get 10.5.7 I know this is wrong, but i really wanted it. But the problem was, that his was a macbook pro startup and when i tried booting it, it said it wasnt able to. So i restarted my computer and when it started, i lost EVERYTHING except my applications. Please everyone. I have so many important files and pictures and thousands of dollars of music. HELP!!
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

If you didn't back things up there's not much to be done.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijcproductions View Post
But right now im using mac osx 10.4.11 on a regular macbook.
Welcome to the forum!

The disk you used from your friends MacBook Pro is a "model specific" startup/reinstall disk meant only for your friends MacBook Pro.

I'm sort of surprised that it actually installed Mac OS 10.5.7...usually if you insert a disk meant for a different model laptop...it just gets rejected.

I think that the solution in this matter is you need to reinstall Mac OS 10.4. Get your Mac OS 10.4 install disk(s)...and do an install.

Hope this helps, please let us know if it was successful,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

That sounds like a really silly thing to do, especially since you could have just used Software Update on your computer to get the latest version of OS X. Even worse is that you didn't back up your files with Time Machine, which is so easy to use. Maybe you're not ready for the responsibility of owning a Macbook?

Pigoo, will installing the previous version bring all the files back?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
That sounds like a really silly thing to do, especially since you could have just used Software Update on your computer to get the latest version of OS X. Even worse is that you didn't back up your files with Time Machine, which is so easy to use. Maybe you're not ready for the responsibility of owning a Macbook?
Software update doesn't update your computer from release to release. It only installs the 10.x.x updates. Also, TM was not included in Tiger. Being inconsiderate isn't going to help.

So, when you restarted the machine, you could boot it? It sounds as if you formatted the machine but that would prevent you from booting.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That sounds like a really silly thing to do, especially since you could have just used Software Update on your computer to get the latest version of OS X.

Pigoo, will installing the previous version bring all the files back?
If I understand correctly what the original poster did...it sounds like the original poster tried to "upgrade" their MacBook's OS from Tiger (10.4.11) to OS 10.5.7 using a friend's MacBook Pro installation disk.

Then after the install...their computer wouldn't boot.

The problem is, the installation disk from the friend's MacBook Pro is probably a "model specific" disk...and should not have been used on a MacBook.

The suggestion of using software update would not have worked...because you cannot update from OS 10.4.11 to OS 10.5.7 via software update...you have to purchase Leopard (Mac OS 10.5).

Regarding my earlier suggestion to reinstall the MacBook's original OS. When you do an install of the OS...it normally DOES NOT overwrite the user's personal files (application's, documents, photos, music, etc.).

The install program looks for enough FREE SPACE to install into...then you get a choice of a "fresh" install where the old OS System folder is removed and a new OS installed, or an "archive" install...where the old OS System Folder is "archived"..and then a new System folder is installed.

The bottom line is...the original poster's files are probably still intact. The original poster simply incorrectly tried installing a newer version of the Mac OS from a DVD that was not made for their model computer, and thus their computer is not able to boot.

A fresh install of the Mac OS from a "universal" install disk...or the installation disk that came with their computer would be the first step to try, and hopefully would correct the problem.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I see. It was still silly to try to use someone else's installation disc and not back up files, especially when they know it's wrong, it's not a matter of being inconsiderate. You certainly don't want to encourage or excuse that sort of thing, and I wouldn't call it a smart way of going about it. But at least the files are recoverable and hopefully the OP will learn not to try something like that again.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I see. It was still silly to try to use someone else's installation disc and not back up files, especially when they know it's wrong, it's not a matter of being inconsiderate.
I agree with you that it was not a smart idea using someone else's disk.

The strange thing is usually when you try to use a "model specific" disk in a Macintosh that it was not designed for...usually the computer just "spits out" or ejects the non-compatible disk.

Maybe the "op" will reply...and help clear things up, or let us know if the suggestions so far have helped.

The "op" is a "1 poster", so we may never hear from them again! : (

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
ijcproductions

Im sorry everyone, i should have stated that when i put in my friends startup disk, i held down C to boot it. And it came up to tell me to pick a language, i picked english and it said unable to install. So i forgot to state that it didnt work. I am going to reboot my start up disk in the morning. Hoping it will all work. Will keep everyone posted on the problem. Any ever had this problem before?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

All is revealed. That message unable to install is standard when using discs from another machine. Boot from your Tiger install disc and run Repair Disk from there and all should be well.

If you want Leopard go to the Apple shop.
QUOTE Thanks
ijcproductions

I lost my tiger start up, I no right now the only thing i could do is get leopard or find my Tiger, But what if i wait for Snow Leopard to come out in September or whatever. Or do i have to get Leopard to get Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You would need Leopard only to be eligible for the $29 upgrade version of Snow Leopard.

Couldn't find it quickly, but I believe there will be a full version for those that never migrated to Leopard.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ijcproductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You would need Leopard only to be eligible for the $29 upgrade version of Snow Leopard.

Couldn't find it quickly, but I believe there will be a full version for those that never migrated to Leopard.

I hope because the leopard is i believe 60-80 Dollars. Then i would need to spend thirty more to buy leopard!! I hope they come out with a full version
QUOTE Thanks
ECF

ECF is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20" Alu. Duo 2.4Ghz 3 GB Ram/ iBook G4/Titanium 800 Mhz/iBook Anthracite/Power Mac 7600/Unitron

Still cheaper than $129 for snow leopard... and/but you would have a universal Install disc for 10.5.xx!

and.... wait for it: the latest TIME MACHINE!!
QUOTE Thanks
ijcproductions

Ya, but i hope that i will retrieve my photos and audio that i lost when i buy snow leopard!!. I really would like some of those stuff back. Anyway, I was thinking about getting Time Machine, but whats the difference between time machine and an External Hard Drive??
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 10.5.8 Install | G4 booting problem »