New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Can't Update Software On My Powerbook G4 Os X 10.3.9

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MargaretM

MargaretM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 25 - OSX 10.5.5

Hi,

My Mac Powerbook G4 OS X 10.3.9 512MB won't update any software including Firefox, System, Itunes. Mac checks for updates of software and then says it your software is up to date try again later. But with other programs it loads down and the file says it's failed.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have searched threads and followed recommendations to fix permissions but still no luck.

Would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.
MargaretM
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

With 10.3.9 you're pretty much stuck where you are. You'll probably never see another software update from apple. They're done with Panther. And so is everyone else. Firefox, itunes and many others require Tiger or above.

So if you are trying to install the latest firefox, it will fail because your OS isn't supported anymore. The version you have is the last version you will get.

Your powerbook would run Tiger really well. If you can afford the upgrade, I recommend it. Tiger is far better then Panther, still supported by Apple and many others and would greatly increase the performance of your mac.

You can probably find Tiger really cheap if you search for it in google, ebay or amazon.

Good luck, I hope that helps and I hope I understood your problem correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
MargaretM

Thank you, that explains it perfectly. I'll follow up Tiger.
Cheers,
MargaretM
QUOTE Thanks
MargaretM

Hi, Was wondering if I could put version OS X 10.5.7 on my G4 instead of Tiger.
Thanks,
Margaret
QUOTE Thanks
MargaretM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsgravy View Post
With 10.3.9 you're pretty much stuck where you are. You'll probably never see another software update from apple. They're done with Panther. And so is everyone else. Firefox, itunes and many others require Tiger or above.

So if you are trying to install the latest firefox, it will fail because your OS isn't supported anymore. The version you have is the last version you will get.

Your powerbook would run Tiger really well. If you can afford the upgrade, I recommend it. Tiger is far better then Panther, still supported by Apple and many others and would greatly increase the performance of your mac.

You can probably find Tiger really cheap if you search for it in google, ebay or amazon.

Good luck, I hope that helps and I hope I understood your problem correctly.
Hi,
Was wondering can I run OS X 10.5.7 on my G4 instead of Tiger?

Thanks,
Margaret
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Depends greatly on the 'books processing speed. By default Leopard requires an 867MHz processor as a minimum, but for practical purposes, suggest at least a 1.25GHZ system.

And you will need to kick up that memory as both Tiger and Leopard are pretty hungry cats!
QUOTE Thanks
MargaretM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Depends greatly on the 'books processing speed. By default Leopard requires an 867MHz processor as a minimum, but for practical purposes, suggest at least a 1.25GHZ system.

And you will need to kick up that memory as both Tiger and Leopard are pretty hungry cats!
Hi,

I've managed to get a copy of Tiger as suggested but when I try to install, it comes up with an Alert which tells me the software cannot be installed on my Mac Powerbook G4 OS X 10.3.9 512MB any suggestions?

Cheers,
Margaret
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Sounds like you have got hold of a silver/grey system software install disc. These disc were issued with a specific model machine. You need the black full retail install version .
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

Ditto the black install disc. Gray/silver wont work. Those are hardware specific. I should have mentioned that when I suggested you upgrade. I apologize If you ended up buying a gray/silver disc.

As far as Leopard goes, if your processor is 1GHz or higher, go for it. But you will need to upgrade the RAM. You'd probably want to double what you have.

I have it installed on a powerbook 12" with 1GHz and 768mb RAM. It runs well, but does have its hang ups. Sometimes it can be a bit choppy. But I'm comparing it to my macbook.

The only real problem I have, is with flash. It just wont run Flash 10. The video is way choppy on sites and just doesn't play right. Other then that, it's a champ. It's my wifes computer and she never seems to complain. Other then the choppy video. Which I fixed by going back to flash 9.

So, Tiger will be a straight forward install and Leopard will require you to spend a bit more money. It's your choice. Either way, if you upgrade to whichever one, your mac will improve. You'll get a couple more years out of it for sure. And if you can, upgrade the RAM for sure with both. You'll be a lot happier and your mac will love you for it. It's a good investment into a great computer.

But with HD content taking over and more and more sites requiring Flash player 10 and larger computer specs, it's not going to be long before you're looking at buying a new computer. The internet is changing fast and it's not like it was even a year ago when you could get away with minimal or older specs on a computer.

Sorry about the long nerdy rant. Whichever OS you choose, stay away from flash player 10. I don't think it agrees with older powerbooks. Someone might have a different opinion, and if they do, I'm willing to be schooled.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
MargaretM

Oh well, thanks for the explanation, it was very helpful. Sounds like it's too much trouble to buy the black discs as well if in the end it will be out of date. And I've already noticed the suggestion to upgrade flash player. My G4 Powerbook still work fine but will have to accept can't update anything. Thanks for taking the time to sort out my problems.
Cheers,
Margaret
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to copy files | Burning ISO images »