New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Where is home folder? Mac 10.5 to Active Directory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schoolhelper

schoolhelper is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
Well I have gotten the MAC to authenicate to the AD server. I can login and go to finder and see the server. Two things I'm not sure of

1- Is the server automatically mounted? When I go to finder and click on server it takes a few seconds to connect. The first time I must enter the password again and check the box for remember this in key chain. Having a school of k-8th graders it would be nice that once they login they are not prompted w/ this question. Is there a way around this?

2- If I uncheck "force local home directory" (not in front of MAC, so may be off on text) when I login I think the MAC is trying to load a home folder on the Dock. However, I get a error message something like "can not find folder, does not exist or server is unavailable".
Server is available, so I assume it's a permissions thing, or the folder does not exist. I'm not a admin, so I'm figuring things out as I go. I have inherited the Win2003 server. Where is the user's home folder defined? I thought it was under the profile tab in user properties
on the 2003 server. However the server will not accept the \\server_name\home folder path format.
It prompts me to use a drive letter etc. So if I enter the home directory as Estudents\jim,
The MAC seems to map a folder called E w/ a subfolder students & w/ a subfolder Jim off of the
users local MAC home folder.

So I guess I'm wondering where the mac gets the information about the location of the users home
folder on the server? Can I have the MAC map a local home folder and a server located home folder?

And to be greedy, map a shared folder located on the server?

I hope this is clear...if not, please ask questions and I will do my best to clarify...
School about to open soon, so I really need to make this happen..

Any help is appreciated....Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photo thumb on desktop? | Can't view any webpages »