New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - combo update 10.5.7 can't be installed

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

njengkink

njengkink is on a distinguished road

hello,

I'm not exactly an avid mac user but I use a macbook pro. the latest software update gave me 3 things to install, prokit update, itunes, and combo update 10.5.7. the combo update is a real pain to install. I've been trying 3x 45 minutes to install it and now I gave up. the installation bar is just stuck right on top of the letter F in "configuring installation".

now I just noticed through google search, that this combo update is trouble. first thing I noticed is while downloading, when the modem lost the internet connection, software update kept saying that only 12% is downloaded. no matter how many times the software update is restarted. second thing, software update quits unexpectedly 3 times before finishing download. third thing, the second after the download is done, software update says "please restart to finish installation". I should have see those as a sign not to install the combo update. but I did tried, because I want to install safari 4. which is now just a dream until apple releases something that works.

can't believe that apple is becoming like... m$....

anyway, anyone has any suggestion on what to do? wait around for the next update release? or keep trying to install? how long should I wait?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Try downloading the combo update from Apple's website and not through SU. Link here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

And in addition to what Van advised, make sure you have a good fast connection to obtain the downloads. Sounds like you had problems with the connection to begin with. Getting disconnected in the middle of a download can introduce CRC errors.

Also, don't blame your difficulties on Apple when the problem is at your end.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

I agree with chscag. The download is 729MB which isn't small. Make sure you have a consistent and preferably fast connection.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Re-installation | can't delete automatic download »