New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - questions about "stretched" images on external monitor (and "display preferences")

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flunn

flunn is on a distinguished road

Greetings:

I’ve connected my 2008 Macbook to a Panasonic tv using a Mini-dvi to VGA cable.
By doing this I’ve got the computer screen to appear on the tv but it’s “stretched.”
I’ve tried to change this by changing the screen resolution in “Preferences/Display” but it hasn’t worked.

Question One: Is the stretching caused by not having selected the right resolution setting in “Preferences/Display”? If so which setting should I choose? (The current setting is 1280x800; this may not be what the original setting was, but the computer screen looks ok.) Also: if the stretching is not caused by an incorrect resolution setting, how can I fix it?

Question Two: since hooking my computer up to the tv yesterday and fiddling with the display resolutions, my operating system (10.5.6) has “unexpectedly quit" twice. It has never done this before. Could this be caused by hooking up the tv and/or changing the resolution?

regards to all

flunn
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What is the native resolution of your Panasonic TV?

When you open up Displays there will be two preference boxes. One on the screen of your Macbook and another one on the TV screen.

The one on your MB should stay at the native resolution of your MB which is 1280 x 800.

The one on your TV should be changed to match the native resolution of your TV.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
flunn

flunn is on a distinguished road

Thank you, bobtomay, for your helpful reply. I haven't yet tried the solution you suggest, because while I was looking in the tv documentation to find the native resolution (it's 1366x768) I noticed a mention of a "format" button on the remote and I found that when I changed that to 4:3 the stretching disappeared and I could see the streaming movie I'd been trying to watch perfectly. There was still one problem though, although one that I could certainly live with: on both the tv and the computer, I could see only one section of what I would normally see on the computer screen. I'll try your method tomorrow to see if it solves this problem.
anyway, thanks again
flunn
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yours is a 720p HDTV.

Also take a look in the TV manual for the section on connecting a computer. Panasonic is typically good about having a section there that will list the resolutions it will accept through it's VGA input.

In the Displays preferences of your Mac, most of the time you'll want to set the TV to the highest that it will accept.

You will also want to play around with checking and un-checking the box that turns mirrored mode on. This provides for a duplicate of your computer screen or a 2nd separate screen that you can drag individual apps onto.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp Problems | Issues on Duplicate emails »