New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

how to remove startup processes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gdestiny

i've recently installed McAfee and Norton antivirus for testing purposes. even though i have uninstalled both programs, i still have left over processes that's starting up automatically.

how do i get rid of them? other than using activity monitor to manually force quit each processes.

some of the processes i'd like remove are: VShieldxxx, Virex.X, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

u mean they still start up with your computer???

then go to System Preferences > Accounts > then click your user name on the left pane, and go to the start up tab. just uncheck watever there.
QUOTE Thanks
gdestiny

yeah, i did that already. but those processes are still starting up. they must be system specific processes, not account specific.

where do i go to remove those system processes from starting up automatically?
QUOTE Thanks
Vetteman

I have the same issue and it aggrivates me. I'd love to know how this is removed too.
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

You have to actually remove them - if you get rid of ticks it still starts just its not hidden
click on them then click on the '-' at the bottom .. should now be gone
QUOTE Thanks
gdestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-funct
You have to actually remove them - if you get rid of ticks it still starts just its not hidden
click on them then click on the '-' at the bottom .. should now be gone
the startup items in my account is blank; there's nothing to remove.

but process like NortonAutoProtect, VShieldXXX, Virex, etc. keeps showing up in my Activity Monitor under All Processes

since OSX does not have a registry like XP, there's gotta be a script or command file that launches those processes at startup.

what's more annoying is even when i force quit NortonAutoProtect, it comes back again in a few minutes! and it's eating up about 11MB of physical memory.
QUOTE Thanks
d-funct

You could just uninstall norton .. as for the startup stuff I thought it was all kept in there like xp keeps all its startup stuff in MSConfig
QUOTE Thanks
gdestiny

i just dragged the norton into my trash can. i thought that was how you uninstall apps in OSX?

anyway, digging a little bit more, i found the startup items in /library/StartupItems; so i went there and removed the folders (after force quitting the process from Activity Monitor first)

btw, even in XP, not all the startup items show up in MSconfig. some of them are buried in the registry under RunStartup or something like that.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Go in your user folder and library and then preferences and trash the apps Plists
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

since you know the name of the things that are running, can you do a search for them and delete them?

QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

It's far easier to do: Go in your user folder and library and then preferences and trash the apps Plists
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

yes, or you can install them both, and change the settings in the programs not to start up, then search for ALL the application files , including plists, and drag them to the trash and delete (or secure delete)? should work.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

See? Shaun knows how! Not that hard!
QUOTE Thanks
gdestiny

thanks, guys. i'll give deleting the plist a try.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ftp at school on imac | 10.3.8 taking 4 minutes to startup!!! »