New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

How to connect MAC to AD & customize desktop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

schoolhelper

schoolhelper is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Hope this is the correct place for this... I looked and could not find answers to this... Although I've seen many things about this...but most seems to be bits and pieces. I just started helping support a small school's computer lab. They have about 28 new imacs running 10.5.7 and a 2003 microsoft server.
I would like to configure the macs to login to active directory and allow individual desktop configurations based on server groups as well as a home folder located on the server for each person and mounted as a folder on the desktop.
Ok..I hope this is more clear...

We have grades k - 8. We would like to have each student have an account on the server. Then they can login to any mac using Active directory name/password. We would like the desktop to be configured based on the group the student is in on the server..ie. We would setup 9 groups by grade...grade 1 group, grade 2 group and so on. The desktop would be specific to the grade. However we would like a folder showing up on the mac desktop (mounted) that is located on the server and is specific to the user logged in. Each student to have a private home folder on the server. Which we can then allow the teachers access to get assignments etc...Possibly adding a second folder to a shared write only folder to hand assignments in. The hope is no mac would need accounts setup, only at the server level and it doesn't matter which mac the student signs in on.

I've been able to get a mac running 10.5.6 to authenicate/connect to the server and see folders, but when I do the same thing to an updated (10.5.7) mac, I can authenicate to AD, but can not see any folders.

Any help, instructions, suggestions, directions as to where to look all welcome....
Thank You in Advance....
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

NOTE: Thread moved to appropriate forum. Not just anything goes in Anything Goes

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

Not sure if this will help you, but it might:

http://www.wazmac.com/quickstarts/pd..._configure.pdf

I know it's for the older version of OSX, but it may give you some hints on what to do with leopard.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Login problem | How Can You Edit "Get Info" Of a File? »