New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iBook - iBook G4 Mac OS X Install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mitchwhite

mitchwhite is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am trying to reinstall all of my software on my 4-year old iBook G4. I have the original Mac OS X Install Disc, but my iBook doesn't recognize the disc, it just keeps ejecting it. It recognizes other discs so I am not sure what the problem is. Do I need to buy a newer version of OS X? Any suggestions? Thanks, Mitch White
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

It probably doesn't make a difference...but what version of OS X are you trying to install?...there are different versions!

Is the OS X install disk CD's or DVD? Again this shouldn't matter since all iBook G4's have DVD drives (which can read CD's as well).

Have you tried booting your computer while holding down the "c" key (Mac OS install disk in the drive)?

Have you tried when booting up from the HDD (with the Install disk in the drive)...going to "System Preferences"...and selecting the Mac OS X install disk as your startup disk?

Is your Mac OS X install disk dirty or damaged?

Give these ideas a try if you haven't already,

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

Quote:
all iBook G4's have DVD drives
Actually some didn't come with DVD drives, only CD drives. My parents have an iBook G4 that has just a CD-ROM, not even a burner.
QUOTE Thanks
mitchwhite

My iBook G4 is currently running OS X 10.4.11. The disk is version 10.3.5. The disk appears to be in good condition, I had never opened it until today. no visible scratches or dirt. How do I tell if it's a DVD or a CD? This is the disc that came with the hardware, so hopefully it should be compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I assume you're doing a clean install then? 10.3.5 is Panther and not Tiger. Do you have just one disc? If so it's a DVD, Panther came on 3 CD's.
You can't install earlier versions of software over new ones without doing a clean install.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKhikerVW View Post
Actually some didn't come with DVD drives, only CD drives. My parents have an iBook G4 that has just a CD-ROM, not even a burner.
Actually...go to Mac Specs, Prices, Answers, & Comparison @ EveryMac.com - Est. 1996, and check out the iBook G4 specs. You will find that they all have DVD drives!

Are you sure that your parents iBook is:

- a G4, it could be a G3
- maybe they got the drive replaced
- maybe they had some sort of special order when they purchased it.

To the best of my knowledge...all G4 iBook's came with a disk drive capable of reading DVD's.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

No, it's a G4, original drive. However I did just find out it came from a school originally, so it is probably a special model for education use.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKhikerVW View Post
No, it's a G4, original drive. However I did just find out it came from a school originally, so it is probably a special model for education use.
If it came from a school, more than likely they chose to get the CD drive rather than DVD.

The school probably saved a few bucks...and when you're purchasing say 50-100 of them (possibly more or less)...I guess that adds up to a decent savings.

- Nick
QUOTE Thanks
rippingviper

rippingviper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini

My ibook has a combo drive. And it still ejects the DVD all the time, I think the drive might be dying out on me tho. Cause mine worked after trying the 10th time, it took the disc so I installed Mac os 10.5. It was rough times though. I didn't think they ibooks came with anything less then a combo cd burner/dvd reading drive. But mines also the generation before the macbooks came out so mine also has a 1.33 G4 in it too. My .2c
QUOTE Thanks
mitchwhite

Hi, I am the original poster who has the problem... to answer the questions, my iBook is definitely a G4, and I bought it originally as an individual from the Apple store in Atlanta, no special customization. I have two original install disks that read, "Mac OS version 10.3.5" and "Disk version 1.0". I also have a third original disk that reads "Additional Software and Apple Hardware Test". It also says "AHT version 2.2.1" and "Disk Version 1.0". I think my disk drive is just hinky, I have tried to do a clean install rebooting and holding down the "C" key, I have tried to insert the first disk in the disk drive, and in neither case will the computer even recognize the disk. Any other suggestions from anyone? I would like to do a complete clean install of all my software if possible.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

If your Mac has a firewire port (it should) then you could try an external dvd writer and install from that. Probably cheaper and easier than replacing the internal one.
It seems that the disc drive has died.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
mitchwhite

The weird thing is that other discs work fine, e.g. my Dreamweaver disc showed up correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Then maybe the discs are damaged, because even if they were the wrong ones for the machine they would show.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Java Problem | Hosts File »