New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Deleting an Icon from the mac menu bar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrSeymour

MrSeymour is on a distinguished road

Firstly Hi, I have just migrated fully from windows to mac; it really is the best thing I have done, I love osX!

I have been looking through many posts in order to teach myself the intricacies of the GUI and I have learnt so much so thankyou to all, but I am stumped on how to delete an Icon from my menu bar.

I installed the app 'Logmein' and this put an app on my menubar. I deleted the app via AppCleaner but it has left the icon on the menu bar. when I click it, it gives me all the options (the program definitely isnt their though)

It starts every time my macbook starts up so I can click it to turn it off each time but id rather delete it completely.

I cannot command click and drag it off the menu bar as it isnt a native icon of the menu bar.

Any advice at all please? Ill provide any other details as needed.

Adam
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

It sounds like you didn't completely delete the application if it is still opening at startup. In order to prevent it from launching in the first place, you will need to remove it from your startup items list. This can be found in System Preferences - Accounts - Login Items tab. Remove it from the list. If you don't see it there, then it may be in /System/Library/Startupitems. Either way, removing it will stop it from launching, and remove the icon from your menu bar.
QUOTE Thanks
MrSeymour

MrSeymour is on a distinguished road

Thats great thankyou,
Took me a while to figure out the simplest thing like how to get to /library but when i found it, it was so simple.

Thanks again for your help
QUOTE Thanks
mightymac02

mightymac02 is on a distinguished road

In response to: "It sounds like you didn't completely delete the application if it is still opening at startup. In order to prevent it from launching in the first place, you will need to remove it from your startup items list. This can be found in System Preferences - Accounts - Login Items tab. Remove it from the list. If you don't see it there, then it may be in /System/Library/Startupitems. Either way, removing it will stop it from launching, and remove the icon from your menu bar."

I don't have the item in either my startup items list or in /System/Library/Startupitems and the program still launches on the taskbar every time I log into my account. I am also using the administrator account.

Any further suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
ezhammer

ezhammer is on a distinguished road

Yes, it no longer shows up on the menu bar either, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Did you remove it from Login Items? Try that and let us know if it still shows up somewhere else.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Sounds like AppCleaner isn't very good at its job.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
ezhammer

ezhammer is on a distinguished road

It still shows up under login items...not sure how to remove it from there.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhammer View Post
It still shows up under login items...not sure how to remove it from there.
highlight it and click the minus button underneath

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« add network Home to places | Target disk mode »