New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac OS X 10.2.8 released

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Source: MacMinute.com

Mac OS X 10.2.8 released
eptember 22, 2003 - 17:10 EDT* Apple today released Mac OS X 10.2.8, which delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for the following applications, services and technologies: Audio, Bluetooth, Classic compatibility, Finder, Graphics, LDAP, Power Management, Safari, and FireWire and USB device compatibility. The update also provides updated security services and includes the latest Security Updates, according to Apple. The update is available via the Mac OS X Software Update preference pane.

My Comments: All I can say is... this looks to be a great update!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Will be upgrading this evening. thanks for the notice.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all

I can't wait to see the enhancements for safari
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

yes most excellent gotta try this out now
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

took forever on the restart, but everythings running fine now

QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

I am downloading about 100mbs of software ive been putting off web objects update, soundtrack update, 10.2.8 update, airport update.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

yeah it had to install everything on bootup Since it cant really install it while you're using the System

Well I cant really tell any difference.. and it must be non visual changes with Safari.. actually it looks like Safari has the same build number.. so it must have just been something to deal with the system that Safari happens to use. *shrug*
QUOTE Thanks
gatorparrots

From Apple's security email:
Quote:
OpenSSH: Mac OS X 10.2.8 contains the patches to address CVE
CAN-2003-0693, CAN-2003-0695, and CAN-2003-0682. On Mac OS X
versions prior to 10.2.8, the vulnerability is limited to a denial
of service from the possibility of causing sshd to crash. Each
login session has its own sshd, so established connections are
preserved up to the point where system resources are exhausted by
an attack.

To deliver the update in a rapid and reliable manner, only the
patches for CVE IDs listed above were applied, and not the entire
set of patches for OpenSSH 3.7.1. Thus, the OpenSSH version in
Mac OS X 10.2.8, as obtained via the "ssh -V" command, is:
OpenSSH_3.4p1+CAN-2003-0693, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL
0x0090609f
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

i dont notice any differences but until i find something wrong it doesnt really matter
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I updated... and my PB's battery died while updating and stopped the update. And now im scared to reboot, for the fear of my system %$&#ing up... HELP ME!!!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I looking for the combo update. Don't see it at this time. I have better luck with the combo update.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

rman being a convert i have never had to update but whats this combo update you speak of
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Ok Mac dude.. since your battery died.. your powerbook is off right? I just need to make sure.. I do not know your experience so I need to ask this
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Mac-Dude.. Im going to assume that your computer is off.. this is what you'll need to do:

1. Boot your computer up while holding down the command key and the 's' key simultaneously. This will put you in single user mode.
2. Type in 'fsck -y' this will fix any problems.. hopefully
3. Type in 'mount -uw /' This will mount your hard drive.
4. Now type 'cd /Library/Receipts/'
5. Type 'rm MacOSXUpdate10.2.8.pkg'
6. Type 'softwareupdate'
7. Hopefully it should show the MacOSXUpdate10.2.8 package.
8. Install it by typing 'install NAME' NAME is the name of the package.
9. After it has installed, go ahead and type 'Reboot'

If you have problems with any of that, please post and we'll try to help you out.

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Normally use the combo updater to update your OS if you missed a revision level. Say you want to get to 10.2.8 from 10.2.5. You would use the OS X 10.2.8 Combo Update to been your system to 10.2.8.

I have heard of some problems with some systems if you use the regular update, especially if you are missing something.

So I use the combo updater. Then I run the disk utility application to fix file permissions. After which I don't have any problems. The caveat is I don't alter the OS from the original state. basically i don't use three party application to alter how the basic operating system works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cleaning-up HDD? | kernal patch? »