New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac - partitioning problem [imac g3 crt]

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ogg

ogg is on a distinguished road

I have an iMac G3 (CRT). Original hdd doesn't boot up anymore. Not sure if that is a result of previous owner erasing the hdd. So, I decided that a fresh install of OS X 10.3 would be a practical solution. CD boots up fine, but "Select destination volume.." doesn't list anything to choose. The Disk Utility identifies the hdd fine. I tried to erase the hdd but the progress bar didn't proceed very far; I waited 30 minutes for something to change. I tried to partition the hdd but the same thing happend; the progress bar didn't move very far even after 30 minutes of waiting. What could be the problem?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

G'day ogg and welcome to the forums.

For starters what type of Panther install CD are you using? Must be what is known as the black full retail install version as the silver grey system restiore discs from a different model will not install.

Erasing the HDD would not prevent booting. Machine should boot showing the flashing folder with a question mark on it. Boot from your CD and select Utilities and run 'Repair Disc' from there.

Keep us posted?
QUOTE Thanks
ogg

I'm using a black full retail disc of Panther. But I am not sure what version the mac had installed before I received the machine. I received this machine in non-bootable condition. Sure seems to be a nice package at 600mhz,40gb hdd, FW, 640mb ram, CDRW. Perfect for basic stuff.

When booting, I get the flashing folder with a question mark on it. Booting from the CD seems to respond, but the hdd sounds like it's awfully busy doing something in the background. As a result, the interface takes a long time to respond to commands. That could be my fault. Early on, I launched the disc partition function. But the progress bar didn't seem to move along very far even after 30 minutes. It appeared to be stalled in the same position close to the starting point, so I cancelled it. I may have just turned off the mac at some point to stop it. Before that, I do believe that I tried the Repair option, but it reported that the hdd could not be repaired. That is why I opted for partitioning next.

I have now relaunched the Disk Utility. It's "gathering disc information.." ..but it's taking an extremely long time - longer than before. In the course of writing this reply, the mac is still "gathering.."

I guess, I've really blown my chances to recover the original hdd now? Would it be faster and easier to just put in a brand new hdd?
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like the HD is crashed. If the disk utility will not format the drive its crashed.
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

I have to agree with Mac SK. It sounds like you do have a bad hard disk. With a machine that old, I am not surprised. The average life span of a hard drive is about five years. That machine is pushing.. oh about exactly eight years. This is not to say it's not still a useable computer, but the hard drive has likely reached the end of it's lifespan.

The drive you need is a standard IDE drive, but keep in mind your machine probably won't be able to see more than 137 GB, because the ROMs do not support 48 bit LBA mode. So don't waste your money on anything more than that. You can find a drive around that size for cheap, like $35-45.
QUOTE Thanks
ogg

I feared as much. Does the iMac take 3.5" drives?
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

Yes it does
QUOTE Thanks
ogg

Hi folks! As per suggestions here, I replaced the old drive with another 80gb. This particular drive was used in a PC. The iMac install process did not list it. So I next went into the Disk Utility. It was detected and listed fine there. I next selected Erase. That seemed to go very fast and completed within a minute or two. But now I am stuck understanding how to proceed. I restarted the Installation Utility, it listed the drive, but there is a giant red/white exclamation next to the drive icon that says "cannot install OS X on this drive". What do I do next? Do I have to create a "New Image" or something in the Disk Utility?
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

I am guessing here as I do not have Panther.

I suggest reformatting but under Partition tab, look for an Options button, click through, click on Apple Partition Map and then finish erasing process. I am hoping that since the drive came from a PC, it needs the Apple Partition Map before the install can proceed.
QUOTE Thanks
ogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilbear View Post
I am guessing here as I do not have Panther.

I suggest reformatting but under Partition tab, look for an Options button, click through, click on Apple Partition Map and then finish erasing process. I am hoping that since the drive came from a PC, it needs the Apple Partition Map before the install can proceed.

I don't have "Partition Map" option anywhere. Anyway.. it turns out that all I had to do was shut down the mac and turn it back on. When I inserted the CD, the install process showed the hdd without the exclamation mark. I proceeded with the install. It prompted me for a "CD 2" which I don't have, but the install seemed to finish without it. It then started a Mac welcome animation, and is now prompting for all kinds of user info. I guess I am going to be ok now.

BTW.. what's the trick to reboot the mac (analogous to
Restart on a PC), without having to actually power down?

What am I missing without CD 2?
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

When you get connected to the internet here is the link for the last Combo update for Panther. Download and install and you should be good to go.

Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9
QUOTE Thanks
ogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilbear View Post
When you get connected to the internet here is the link for the last Combo update for Panther. Download and install and you should be good to go.

Mac OS X Combined Update 10.3.9
Will the built-in "Check for Updates" accomplish the same thing?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Yes. To reboot with powering down go to the Apple icon in the menu, select and move down to 'Restart'.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

I would check to make shure the boot rom is at 4.19 before you install Ten on it.
QUOTE Thanks
ogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac SK View Post
I would check to make shure the boot rom is at 4.19 before you install Ten on it.
"X" seems to have installed fine. Can I expect future problems if the rom is less than 4.19? How do I find out what the rom version is? I am totally new to mac os.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can someone help with my hard drive / leopard / backing up issue? | Menu bar issue »