New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Having to Shutdown

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Hey... I got that gray window that says you have to shtudown your computer in like 5 diffrent languages..

I've heard about this before, but why does it happen?? Is there a way to prevent it???

Shaun.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

It is a kernal panic

I have never had one but you don't want them. It rarely happens but if it happens multiple times try to remember what you are doing and see if there is a common theme to them happening. If there is no pattern to them happening there could be a problem with your logic board

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions If it happens again, Restart in single user terminal (restart and hold Apple S) and there type /sbin/fsck -fy and repeat until the ***file system changed** message stops
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

wat is that command going to do to my mac????
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Dont worry, it's nothing evil. fsck = file system check.
Open a terminal and type man fsck for more info.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

it could also be a corrupt os, Id look at that before going straight to a logic board problem.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Ii sounds like your OS is corrupted to me also.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

ok im going to try that now.. and how can an os become corrupt?
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

Ok, just did that command in terminal while starting up with apple+s. It says the volume iMac G5 is OK. (My HDD name is iMac g5). I DIDNT get anything that said

****file system changed****

Also, does a kernal panic HAVE to be a logic board if its not a corrupt OS?? Or can they happen randomly like windows crashes (but ALOT less frequent). I dont know if this helps, but i renamed my home folder to my name (that isnt my username in OS X) and it stored all my things in ym home folder, in another spot next time i logged in. Could that have coruppt the OS???

EDIT - Would a re-install of OS X fix the corrupt??
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

ok, you should never rename your home folder, change it back to its EXACT originall name.
an erase and install is the only fix for a corrupt os.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

it renamed itsself and erased all my data and jsut put the renamed home folder soemwhere else after i logged out and in. Its back to normal now.. you think my OS is currupt? should i install OS X again?
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

ok i just formatted, and everything is fine. it did fix one thiing, and that is unessecary authentications. no kernal panics or anything...
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Glad to hear. Just to be safe you may wanna run repair permissions again, it never can hurt KP's are not necessarily a logic board issue if hardware is the cause, it can be RAM too
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

ok thanks... i tried to give u a reputation thing but it says i have to spread some more before i can give u any... i never gave u any before though.... so thanks..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Back-up using CD-RWs?? | Keychain »