New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Graphics Card Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Hello, I just updated my early 2008 MacBook to 4 GB of RAM, and I was wondering if it's possible to allocate more VRAM to my GMA X3100 card with 144 MB of VRAM, or will it take more VRAM if it needs it? Also, would my graphics card be able to use more VRAM if I ran Windows?

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
untrueparadox

untrueparadox is on a distinguished road

ya, under windows you can designate for up to 768, but otherwise, no. its always helpful having more ram, specially when u can get 4 gigs off amazon.com for like $25 after rebate for 2 sticks of mac ram from corsair. i believe under mac the largest vram can only be 256mb dedicated to an integraded if im not mistakened.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

No, the GMA X3100 is allocated a maximum of 144 MB and uses an additional 16 MB if using an external display. No way to increase it. Fixed by the firmware.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
KeithTeeple

KeithTeeple is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
No, the GMA X3100 is allocated a maximum of 144 MB and uses an additional 16 MB if using an external display. No way to increase it. Fixed by the firmware.

Regards.
Thank you for the quick replies. I guess I might as well buy Windows and pump more VRAM onto the card. Any idea where I can get XP Basic (preferably a store), and how much that would cost.

Also, do you know how to put more VRAM on the graphics card under windows?

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

OS X automatically allocates more memory to the graphics card as necessary. It is not "fixed."

About integrated video on Intel-based Macs

Quote:
Depending on the application or task being accomplished, Mac OS X may make additional main memory available to the graphics processor for texture use beyond the base amount mentioned above. The most common types of applications that request more system memory to be used as graphics memory are 3D and graphics-intense applications. Using an extended desktop or mirrored desktop may also increase the amount of system memory used as graphics memory.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with Keyboard on MacBook Pro | Security Zone Settings »