New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Boot Camp Stuck?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tarek

Tarek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Hello guys,

So I was trying to restore the partition together, decided to remove Linux and probably going to install Windows Vista later when I get one. The thing is, Boot Camp is stuck at the "partitioning disk" process, it has been like twenty minutes or something already. Here's a screen shot:

Any help would be appreciated.

What I've tried so far:

- Restarting Boot Camp (by Ctrl + Q) *failed*
- Restarting the Notebook *failed*
- Any other solutions around?

Thank you very much.

Tarek
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It is a very bad thing to interrupt a major change to the structure of a disk. Particularly if you haven't done a backup first. It's quite likely there is some damage to the structure. I would run Verify and Repair in Disk Utility before you go any further.

And then next time you make a change like this, let it sit for a few hours before you attempt to interrupt.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Thanks for your reply; I'm afraid I screwed it:

It's just that it always took me around 5 - 15 (maximum) seconds to restore the Macintosh HD partition; I've done that around eight times ever since I got my MacBook Pro so I know exactly how long it takes or else there's something wrong. So.. I screwed it?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

You may need to run Disk Utility by booting from the System Disc 1 and using it from the Tools menu during the setup process.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Ah alright, I'm going to try that now. Thanks again.

Quick question: Do I need to insert Mac OSX DVD 1, restart, and then press Command + D or just wait for it to automatically boot from the DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarek View Post
Ah alright, I'm going to try that now. Thanks again.

Quick question: Do I need to insert Mac OSX DVD 1, restart, and then press Command + D or just wait for it to automatically boot from the DVD?
The way I do it is to hold down the Option key. That should allow you to select the OS X DVD to boot from.

Here's a handy article that might help:

Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck

QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

Yeah, thanks a lot mate but sorry - I seriously don't feel like reading all of that. Just got back from university an hour ago, showered, and waiting for the food so I can eat and sleep; screw summer courses. Anyway, I'll just hold the Option key (I always did that to choose Mac OS X instead of Windows because Windows was the primary start up disk) and choose Mac OS X DVD. Thanks. I'll keep you up with the results.
QUOTE Thanks
Tarek

The Utility Disk by booting from DVD didn't help me at all, gave me same stuff. So I decided to ERASE it and now I can see the partition on the Desktop (I couldn't, earlier) so I ran Boot Camp Assistant and repartitioning Macintosh HD; I hope it works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 'locked Volume' Error Installing Flash | how long does it take your mac to start up? »