New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Need help to find the right Mac OS X for my MacBook!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

conghoan

conghoan is on a distinguished road

My MacBook information:
MacBook 5.2
Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz
2G Memory 256 Nividia GeForce 9400M
120Gb hard disk
It's a white, plastic cover MaBook

I'v just erased the hard disk and then found out the installation disks had been missing. I'v tried to use the disks from my daughter MacBook 5.1 to reinstall but it not allowed. Now my question is which installation disk shoud be the right one for my Mac and where I can download or by it?
Thanks,
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

If you don't have access to your restore discs, then you have two options. One option is to call up Apple and order a replacement set. You will simply have to provide your serial number and they'll send out the appropriate set for your make and model. Your second option is to buy a retail copy of Leopard. It will cost you around $129 at the Apple Store.

There is currently no legal option to download OS X.

Just in case you were curious, the reason your daughter's discs didn't work is because restore discs are tied to a specific model. So both of your machines had to be near identical for her discs to work in your machine.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
conghoan

Thanks for you quickly reply. Where can i see the serial number so I can order the disk from Apple or at the other shop?
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

I don't know if the white and aluminum Macbooks have similar layouts, but this might help:

MacBook: How to find the serial number
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Easiest way is to click on the apple icon in the upper left, select About this Mac, and then click on More Info. In the window that pops up you'll see your Serial Number listed.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Easiest way is to click on the apple icon in the upper left, select About this Mac, and then click on More Info. In the window that pops up you'll see your Serial Number listed.
You can also go to the Apple menu > About This Mac and where it says your version, click it twice (clicking once shows the build number).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
conghoan

Great helpers you are! The SN had been found under the battery component. Let say that I just bought the Mac OS X Leopard 10.5, install and download all the drivers, applications later like in windows, that will be alright or it has to be the system disk for the right MacBook?
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
S.SubZero

S.SubZero is a jewel in the roughS.SubZero is a jewel in the rough

The retail Leopard disc is generic. It would install on any Leopard-compatible Mac that existed at the time the disc was pressed. Of course, your Mac being relatively new, you would need a recent retail disc. I think the latest they press is 10.5.6, which would likely cover your model.
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

There are no drivers to download, just install and everything will work.
QUOTE Thanks
conghoan

Thanks for all of your helps.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

The Applications that came new with your machine like the whole iLife Suite will not be on the retail 10.5 DVD. Those only come on the DVD that comes with a Mac at the time of purchase. Just a note.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« question about itunes | I'm in computer limbo!! »