New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - 15" Unibody Macbook Pro Keeps Freezing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fyreous

fyreous is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Retina MacBook Pro (15")

Okay, so I've had a late-2007 model 15" Macbook Pro for a long time. Never had a single problem. That thing was a workhorse, and no matter what I threw at it, it never flinched.

I finally decided that I wanted the new unibody variety, so I sold the MBP above and got one of the new 15" models a few months ago (removable-battery) and had Apple upgrade it to 4GB before sending it to me.

Initially it performed great, but in the past 2 - 3 weeks, I literally cannot go 5 minutes without the thing freezing up on me. Everything locks up, and I end up having to hold in the power button to get it to reboot. I even tried re-installing OS X in case I had some wonky driver that was screwing it up, but to no avail. It still locks up. Every now and then, it'll go for a few hours; but other times I'll just be browsing the net, or watching a DVD and.... FREEZE.

All system updates have been run. I have no third-party hardware drivers currently enabled. I tried swapping the position of the RAM chips... but I doubt it is the RAM since when I bootcamp into Windows, it runs fine and never locks up.

Any ideas what might be happening?

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Do you still have the original RAM? I would try swapping them and see if it still freezes on you.

If the problem still continues then I would bring it in to the Apple Store and have them look at it.
QUOTE Thanks
fyreous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Do you still have the original RAM? I would try swapping them and see if it still freezes on you.

If the problem still continues then I would bring it in to the Apple Store and have them look at it.
The RAM in it now is the original RAM - so I guess my next step is taking it to Apple.

QUOTE Thanks
fyreous

Just thought I would give an update - apparently the Hard Drive had some corrupted sectors and it just so happened to be the spot that some system files were stored. The system would freeze every time the Hard Drive tried to access that section of itself.

New hard drive - problem solved.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finding Files by size | G4 Os X 10.1.5 Problems »