New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Unable to Download Anything From The Internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

digimon

For about a week now i have not been able to download anything from the internet. About a week ago I was trying to down load some software (shareware) and I may have pickup something along with it that has not allowed me to download anything since.

What is happening is when I try to download something it will just keep going back to the download page without downloading anything. I got a caution from the Apple upgrade site that said that something may be interscepting the info. Nothing else seems to be affected.

I am running OS 10.3.8 G4 Duel 500 with 768MB Ram. I am using Mozilla for my browser on a Cable Modem.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

You might want to try a different browser. But that won't seem to solve the problem, thinking. Could your ISP be the culprit? You are able to surf the Internet fully, right?
QUOTE Thanks
digimon

I tried using IE, Safari and Firefox and was only able to down load from IE. Yes I can Surf at will.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to follow this thread also. But you might have already seen it.

won't download
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Are you on a firewall router?
QUOTE Thanks
digimon

"iWhat"
Thanks I checked the other tread out. I tried some of the remedies but all as of yet. I am hesitant to delete these things as Macman has said to do as it seems when I do things like this and am unsure as to what they do I loose my whole internet setup and then loose all my bookmarks and stored emails. Then I have to start all over again. Do you know if this will affect my setup?

Macman Wrote:
Quote:
have you tried deleteing this preference:com.apple.internetconfig.plist? or com.apple.internetconnect.plist? or have you tried control+clicking and selecting download linked file as or whatever and see if that works? what sort of connection are you using? can we get a screenshot of your network preferences windows? under the tab you use to connect ie tcp/ip, pppoe, appletalk, ethernet, etc?
"witeshark"
I am running a Linksys 2.4Gz 54 but I am hard wired to it. I also have a PC user in the house and it has a wireless hookup. I use an Airport for my Powerbook. The G4 desktop is the only one affected

I have been using this setup for 3 years with no problem and this is just happened in the last 2 weeks.

Please I can't stand having to use IE as it is not affected by this problem. Mozilla and Firefox are my favs. I have down loaded a new Mozilla thru IE but the problem is still there.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

The files that are recommended to be deleted won't effect anything that you are concerned about. If you delete them, your mac will just make another of the same files the next time that you launch System Prefs for you internet settings.
QUOTE Thanks
kabwon

run onyx and see if it works. fix permissions etc.
QUOTE Thanks
digimon

So I have deleted (com.apple.internetconfig.plist) and still no go. I also ran "onyx" everywhich way. It found a problem in OS 9. I think that it fixed it. No other issues. IE is still working small favors.
QUOTE Thanks
kabwon

delete all your browsers and reinstall, just make sure you download it before u delete it
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Partition without erasing? | Problem with permissions on used iMac.... »