New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Disk Utility Taking Forever - No Activity

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikedep333

mikedep333 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Aluminum - Minimum Model

Hey,

I have a 13" Macbook Aluminum running OS X 10.5.7.

I attempted to split my 150GB HFS+ partition into two 75GB partitions. I have only ever filled up about 25GB. However, it is taking 3 hours on "Modifying Partition Map." Activity Monitor shows no disk usage over 95% of the time, and the rest of the time it's typically less than 100KB/sec.

Is Disk Utility messing up? Should I try to close it (it warns me when I go to do so.)
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Three hours is far too long. If you really want to be cautious (and probably you should, just to be sure), leave it overnight, but unless the drive had files spread out all across the drive and the files are being rearranged (unlikely) I don't believe you'll see anything different in the morning.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mikedep333

Here's what the system log says:
Code:
Jun 17 16:05:54 emissary Disk Utility[145]: **********
Jun 17 16:05:54 emissary Disk Utility[145]: Disk Utility started.
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: Preparing to partition disk: “FUJITSU MHZ2160BH FFS G1 Media”
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 	Partition Scheme: GUID Partition Table
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 	2 volumes will be created
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 	Partition 1
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 		Name       : “Macintosh HD”
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 		Size       : 74.4 GB
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 		Filesystem : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 		Do not erase contents
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 	Partition 2
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 		Name       : “Linux”
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 		Size       : 74.0 GB
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: 		Filesystem : (null)
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: Modifying partition map.
Jun 17 16:08:09 emissary Disk Utility[145]: [NOTE: this exception originated in the server.]\n*** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil key
BTW: I did select to make the 2nd filessystem HFS+ (my only option.)
My intentions are to have boot camp split up the 2nd partition, install windows to the new 3rd partition, and then install Ubuntu Linux 9.04 to the 2nd.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Looks like a failure to me. I'd start over, but grab an app called iPartition. It's much more robust than Disk Utility is.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mikedep333

I canceled out of it, tried it again, and it still hung.

So I rebooted, and then it worked.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at iPartition.
QUOTE Thanks
arbiter

arbiter is on a distinguished road

Interesting and similar problem that I have on my Mac Pro. I finally started using fsck -fy. This is after I reinstalled the OS (Leopard). The Disk Utility hangs frequently, Not sure why. I run fsck... and all is well.

At the start I had to force quit as I was just dumb as a post with Mac OS. Still, now that I learned a bit of theory behind Command Line Unix I am having more success in longevity of DU. I am still curious if the DU has inherent program probs.

Picture Taker
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adding more special characters | getting this warning "Photo attached" on several sites »