New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Partition Recovery Software recommendation

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mac_newbee

mac_newbee is on a distinguished road

hey all, I am fairly new to using a mac, so please be gentle if i dont understand all the lingo.

I have a lacie d2 quadra (1TB) external drive, and that crapped out on me recently. i sent it to drivesavers and they recognized that the data is still there, but for a whopping 2300, they can get it back for me. unfortunately, i cant ever afford that. A friend of mine told me that I need a partition recovery (he looked at the drive by plugging it into a pc) but that I would need to run it through a mac to do so.

here's my question: what is everyone's recommendation as a software to use for PARTITION recovery? I am using a MAC MINI running on MAC OS X 10.4.11

thanks everyone!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Strukt

Strukt will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB

Hi,

You might get something out from your drive if you try with: DiskWarrior 4

Hope it helps!

My Blog: Apple Laptops
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

A lot depends on what's wrong with the drive. You state that it "crapped" out on you - that's not helpful when asking for advice.

If the drive can be accessed via software, then perhaps something like Disk Warrior will be able to help. Partition recovery software for the most part works the same way - if the drive can be accessed.

If the drive can not be accessed through normal means, then the only choice that remains is professional drive recovery. I suspect the $2300 price that
you were quoted by DriveSavers is because the drive will have to be disassembled and the data recovered from the platters.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_newbee

again, wanted to reiterate that i'm really new to this, so i am sorry that my limited vocabulary is not helpful...

some background - when i plug the drive in, it is recognized when i pull up 'about this mac' but not under disk utility - at all.

a friend told me that theres a possibility that the data is there, but the partition is gone, so we are trying to recover the partition? again, this is what I am told. 2300 dollars is not an option, but before I gave up completely i wanted to at least try all that I can.

thanks all
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

If Disk Utility can not "see" the drive, chances are that software such as Disk Warrior or Data Rescue II will likewise not be able to "see" it. Since both programs are not inexpensive, it might not be worthwhile to purchase either one.

You didn't mention what file system the external drive was using. If it's NTFS or FAT-32 there are programs that can repair and recover a damaged partition, however, they either have to be run from Windows or a self bootable CD or DVD.

And, again this is assuming the drive is accessible and it's the partition which is damaged. If there is something else wrong with the drive (electronics or mechanical) all bets are off. I fully understand your dilemma with needing the data and not being able to spend a fortune to get it back.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_newbee

when we hooked it on a pc, we went through disk management, and one drive came up but it said it was not initialized and the other just didnt come up
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_newbee View Post
when we hooked it on a pc, we went through disk management, and one drive came up but it said it was not initialized and the other just didnt come up
Disk Manager from Windows is generally good about recognizing the accessibility of a drive. If one of the partitions was not recognized by DM and the other needs to be "initialized" (formatted) that could indicate partition table problems or a defective drive.

If you have access to a PC, it's better to try to repair the drive (if possible) from the PC rather than using Mac recovery software. Go to this website and download a copy of "Bootit Next Generation". Burn the image to a CD (it will be bootable) and run the program from your PC (attach the LaCie first).

Read the instructions for the program carefully (good help file on the web
site). It's not designed for a novice but it works. Anyway, the program can repair and recover a damaged partition. No guaranty it will work, but it won't cost you anything to try.

An alternative to using the above program is commercial partition recovery and rebuilding software. Take a look here. Not inexpensive but it might be something that you prefer. Good luck with the recovery.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« save as window is larger than screen | None of my apps will start... »