New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Installing Tiger Over Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MichaelBamford

MichaelBamford is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB

hey guys and gals.

I was wondering. My Macbook came shipped with Leopard and at the minute its currently has the latest software update 10.5.7. I was wondernig if i could partition my Hard drive then install Tiger onto that Partition. then some how remove the Leopard partition leaving my Macbook with 1 partition (Tiger). This sounds pointless and confusing but i just want Tiger back, i used to have it on the Macbook before i got my new Macbook and it runs alot faster and looks better in my oppinion.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Hmm, I don't know. I think it's theoretically possible, however, couldn't you just put in a Tiger disk and downgrade?

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I could be mistaken here (I am getting a little senile), but my old mind tells me that there were only two ways to get Tiger.

1. It came with all the Intel Macs at that time, and those disks are machine specific, so would not install on your new machine.

2. The retail version was PPC only, since all Intel machines shipped with their own disks. Which means the retail copy would not work either.

Am sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

But if you bought a intel from say eBay, there must have been a way to upgrade to Tiger. There must have been a way to get a retail copy for intel. Hold on, I'm gonna try to put my Tiger disk in my MacBook and see what happens.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

Turns out I can't put my finger on that disk right now. I'll try again later.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
But if you bought a intel from say eBay, there must have been a way to upgrade to Tiger. There must have been a way to get a retail copy for intel. Hold on, I'm gonna try to put my Tiger disk in my MacBook and see what happens.
There never was a retail version of Tiger for Intel Macs. Until Leopard came out, all Intel Macs shipped with Tiger, so making a retail version would have been pointless. You couldn't upgrade to Tiger because there never was an Intel version of Panther to upgrade from.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
I could be mistaken here (I am getting a little senile), but my old mind tells me that there were only two ways to get Tiger.

1. It came with all the Intel Macs at that time, and those disks are machine specific, so would not install on your new machine.

2. The retail version was PPC only, since all Intel machines shipped with their own disks. Which means the retail copy would not work either.

Am sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

Lifeisabeach already answered it but,

Bob, you are Spot on.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBamford View Post
hey guys and gals.

I was wondering. My Macbook came shipped with Leopard and at the minute its currently has the latest software update 10.5.7. I was wondernig if i could partition my Hard drive then install Tiger onto that Partition. then some how remove the Leopard partition leaving my Macbook with 1 partition (Tiger). This sounds pointless and confusing but i just want Tiger back, i used to have it on the Macbook before i got my new Macbook and it runs alot faster and looks better in my oppinion.
Well with Snow Leopard coming soon... and being highly optimized over the regular Leopard... perhaps you'd be better off just waiting for that to hit.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

As the Mac came with Leopard installed you cannot downgrade it to a previous point release of Leopard never mind Tiger. You cannot downgrade a Mac.
S.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelBamford

MichaelBamford is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB

ok thanks guys, ill just wait and see what snow leopard has for us
QUOTE Thanks
GK27V6

GK27V6 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB

Hey guys, I'm in a similar situation: I have Leopard and would like to install Tiger as well in a different partition. I bought my Mac as a refurb a year ago. It came with Tiger installed, but immediately upgraded to Leopard with the Leopard disc that came with my purchase. My purchase also came with the Tiger discs, and would like to install that OS on a separate partition.

This Mac is my first Mac, and it was Leopard that made me switch. So I never experienced the Tiger days, and I really want to. I know that sounds kinda weird.
Oh, and I also already have a Boot Camp partition, that wouldn't interfere with this new partition at all, would it? What I want to have happen is, after I'd have started up my machine and hold down the option key, I want three choices for boot: Leopard, Tiger, and Windows.

So, any recommendations for how I should do this?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Latin Extended Keyboard | OSX 10.3x and 10.4x insyalled on one Pmac »