Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    MichaelBamford's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 16, 2009
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
    Posts
    49
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB
    Installing Tiger Over Leopard
    hey guys and gals.

    I was wondering. My Macbook came shipped with Leopard and at the minute its currently has the latest software update 10.5.7. I was wondernig if i could partition my Hard drive then install Tiger onto that Partition. then some how remove the Leopard partition leaving my Macbook with 1 partition (Tiger). This sounds pointless and confusing but i just want Tiger back, i used to have it on the Macbook before i got my new Macbook and it runs alot faster and looks better in my oppinion.

  2. #2

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    Hmm, I don't know. I think it's theoretically possible, however, couldn't you just put in a Tiger disk and downgrade?
    Chris K.

  3. #3

    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,515
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I could be mistaken here (I am getting a little senile), but my old mind tells me that there were only two ways to get Tiger.

    1. It came with all the Intel Macs at that time, and those disks are machine specific, so would not install on your new machine.

    2. The retail version was PPC only, since all Intel machines shipped with their own disks. Which means the retail copy would not work either.

    Am sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  4. #4

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    But if you bought a intel from say eBay, there must have been a way to upgrade to Tiger. There must have been a way to get a retail copy for intel. Hold on, I'm gonna try to put my Tiger disk in my MacBook and see what happens.
    Chris K.

  5. #5

    iPod Nano's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 15, 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
    Turns out I can't put my finger on that disk right now. I'll try again later.
    Chris K.

  6. #6

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,757
    Quote Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
    But if you bought a intel from say eBay, there must have been a way to upgrade to Tiger. There must have been a way to get a retail copy for intel. Hold on, I'm gonna try to put my Tiger disk in my MacBook and see what happens.
    There never was a retail version of Tiger for Intel Macs. Until Leopard came out, all Intel Macs shipped with Tiger, so making a retail version would have been pointless. You couldn't upgrade to Tiger because there never was an Intel version of Panther to upgrade from.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  7. #7

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,980
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I could be mistaken here (I am getting a little senile), but my old mind tells me that there were only two ways to get Tiger.

    1. It came with all the Intel Macs at that time, and those disks are machine specific, so would not install on your new machine.

    2. The retail version was PPC only, since all Intel machines shipped with their own disks. Which means the retail copy would not work either.

    Am sure someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

    Lifeisabeach already answered it but,

    Bob, you are Spot on.

  8. #8

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,757
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelBamford View Post
    hey guys and gals.

    I was wondering. My Macbook came shipped with Leopard and at the minute its currently has the latest software update 10.5.7. I was wondernig if i could partition my Hard drive then install Tiger onto that Partition. then some how remove the Leopard partition leaving my Macbook with 1 partition (Tiger). This sounds pointless and confusing but i just want Tiger back, i used to have it on the Macbook before i got my new Macbook and it runs alot faster and looks better in my oppinion.
    Well with Snow Leopard coming soon... and being highly optimized over the regular Leopard... perhaps you'd be better off just waiting for that to hit.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  9. #9

    torchy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    760
    Specs:
    13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
    As the Mac came with Leopard installed you cannot downgrade it to a previous point release of Leopard never mind Tiger. You cannot downgrade a Mac.
    S.
    ~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~

  10. #10

    MichaelBamford's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 16, 2009
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
    Posts
    49
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB
    ok thanks guys, ill just wait and see what snow leopard has for us

  11. #11

    GK27V6's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    164
    Specs:
    white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
    Hey guys, I'm in a similar situation: I have Leopard and would like to install Tiger as well in a different partition. I bought my Mac as a refurb a year ago. It came with Tiger installed, but immediately upgraded to Leopard with the Leopard disc that came with my purchase. My purchase also came with the Tiger discs, and would like to install that OS on a separate partition.

    This Mac is my first Mac, and it was Leopard that made me switch. So I never experienced the Tiger days, and I really want to. I know that sounds kinda weird.
    Oh, and I also already have a Boot Camp partition, that wouldn't interfere with this new partition at all, would it? What I want to have happen is, after I'd have started up my machine and hold down the option key, I want three choices for boot: Leopard, Tiger, and Windows.

    So, any recommendations for how I should do this?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 05:15 PM
  2. installing snow leopard while on tiger
    By willschw in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 05:39 PM
  3. Installing Tiger and Leopard
    By lolingram in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2009, 03:14 AM
  4. Installing Tiger on Partition in Leopard
    By ZachTaylor in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2008, 05:37 PM
  5. installing tiger or leopard
    By Cpt. Morgan in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2008, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •