New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Disk Utility formatted an unreadable flash drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Karl

Karl is on a distinguished road

A new Kingston 1 GB flash drive was unreadable on OSX 10.4.11 and on a OSX 10.5 computer. It was readable on a OSX 10.4.9 compuer. I wanted to be able to transfer files from a Mac to a Windows XP machine. so I decided to format it by erasing etc. under 10.4.9 I chose the Windows-DOS format. There was no FAT 32 option. After the formatting took place, the flash drive was not visible on the OSX 10.4.9 computer. Where do I go from here to
1. See the flash drive
2. Format it so it will be usable on a Mac and a Windows XP macine.

I have another smaller flash drive where I did this a few years ago. It should work.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What file system was the flash drive using before you erased it and attempted to format it? I've never seen a flash drive sold with any other file system on it other than MS DOS.

You may have destroyed your flash drive by attempting to format it. Flash drives are not like hard drives and sometimes can not be completely erased and reformatted the same way without damaging them.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Karl

Karl is on a distinguished road

I do not know. All I know is that it varied in readability with 3 Macs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Console hanging / Terminal strangeness | configuring mouse buttons »