New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.4 - Mac .app to PC question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

miram

miram is on a distinguished road

Greetings, we have an application that is created on a PC, it burns PDF files (with a viewer) to CD, these are then sent to PC and Mac users. All PC users can view the CD no problem, on 50 percent of the Mac machines the application works perfect, on the remaining 50 percent, the user receives the following error - The JAVA JAE file "DVDPDFViewer.jar" could not be launched. The program was written to work on OS X.4 and newer, all machines tested are running the same version of OS and Java.

The work around for this appears to be opening a terminal window on the Mac, running a three line script, then launching the application again.

So, the problem I now have is that I write the script (.app) on the Mac, and it executes and runs fine, I copy it to a PC for burning onto a CD with all of the other documents from the program and when I launch it on a Mac from the CD, it does not work. I assume that when I copied it to the PC from the Mac (thumb drive, e-mail and .zip have been tried)that the .app file is losing something, perhaps attributes, in the translation. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks,
Mark
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

Mr Macintosh can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7

Hello there!

May I ask, are the 50% of Macs that are not launching it properly 10.5 (Leopard) or are the 10.4? Or is it a mixture of both?
If all the Macs are the same OS (like all tiger, or all leopard) however, then check for software updates.

Because some apps made for older OS's and newer ones can sometimes have problems on the newer ones. In my opinion, if it is the newer Macs having the problem, ask the program designers to create sure that the program will run smoothly.
a new version of the software for specific Hardware and Software requirements when it comes to Mac, so that you can be 100%
Also, are all the files and scripts for the program saved in the same place when you save it to a CD?
You must ensure that you aren't missing files out, and more importantly that the CD you insert has the correct files and scripts.
Maybe a CD isn't best for the Macs, try using DVD's instead.

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
miram

miram is on a distinguished road

Mr Macintosh,

thanks, the machines it works on (or those that it does not) are a mixture. for example, some 10.5.7 machines work, some do not, same with 10.4.11. all have java viewer version 1.5.0.16.

with regards to ensuring that all files are copied over, unless there are hidden ones, I am assuming that this is taking place.

as to the cd type, I will try a dvd.

Thanks,
Mark
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Usually, the message that comes up when a JAR fails to launch says, "The jar file "somejarfile.jar" couldn't be launched. Check the Console for possible error messages"

On the machines where the JAR does not lauch, does the Console hold any error messages? They might be enlightening.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

Mr Macintosh can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by miram View Post
Mr Macintosh,

thanks, the machines it works on (or those that it does not) are a mixture. for example, some 10.5.7 machines work, some do not, same with 10.4.11. all have java viewer version 1.5.0.16.

with regards to ensuring that all files are copied over, unless there are hidden ones, I am assuming that this is taking place.

as to the cd type, I will try a dvd.

Thanks,
Mark
Also Mark, you may want to check about hidden files because that can usually be the cause. If the application is being created on a Mac, you can unhide files and re-hide them using terminal. Google search it if need be.

If you're using Windows to create the application, unhide them, as I'm sure you know how to, if not, also Google it!

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lost all install disks...need to format | typing in Hebrew »