New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

iMac - dont have admin password or install discs.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neelu6683

neelu6683 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac and macbook running tiger

Hi,

i was at a auction house today and came across and imac. it's a 20" G5 powerPC with 1.8GHz Bluetooth and 1.8GHz CPU speed, 600MHz Bus speed. 2GB memory. 250 GB Hard drive. (i have no idea if thats good or bad- someone enlighten me please.) so in the excitement of it all, i ended up buying this machine for $390NZ ($250USD). i thought this machine would be nice addition to my apple collection.

Except silly impulsive me, i didn't bother to check if it had any admin restrictions such as a master password running. which it does. The machine came with no discs, booklets or anything other than the basic unit.
So now i can't update any software, make any changes as i do not know the administrator password. And safari keeps asking for a keychain password too.

What plan of action can i take to remove this current password issue? i am happy to spend a little money if it means i can run this iMac more easily.

I'm also happy to hear of the technical ways to solve this issue, just bare in mind that i'm hopeless with machines and you will need to explain in great detail the steps i will need to take.

It is currently running tiger 10.4.10 and i was wondering if it would be wise to upgrade to leopard or even snow leopard (if it ever gets here). i don't mind spending the money as my macbook is running on tiger still also and i'd love to upgrade both at the same time. If i were to purchase a new OS X and erase and install on the imac, would i need the password to do so? will it solve my problems?

i did some research and most forums say that with a second hand machine its always best to wipe clean and start from scratch which sounds wise to me.

would love to hear anything anyone has to say on the topic.

thanx in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Macintosh

Mr Macintosh can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7

Firstly, yes it is worth upgrading, but in my opinion, wait till Snow Leopard's out, then upgrade. And as for the actual Mac, try making a new Admin account, deleting the old account and starting from scratch.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

NOTE: Not a Desktop Hardware issue. Moving to Software forum.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Winclone on Leopard | Password required... »