New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook - OSX Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

conor

conor is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I bought my second hand macbook online last week. When I got it it was working fine. The first day I had it I performed a software update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.7. After the installation I booted the computer and was welcomed by a blue screen! I tried using the install disks to re-install the OS but it kept coming up with the error: This software cannot be installed on this computer.

So I sent it of to get fixed with a local Mac guru. He is not employed by Apple. He told me that he wasn't quie sure what had happend with it but he fixed it, I think he zeroed out the HD and installed OSX 10.5, then gave it back to me. Since then I have restarted it over 10 times with no problem.

Today I turned it on again to be surprisingly greeted by the blue screen which I have recently learnt to hate. I can't understand how it would happen, I have not done anything obvious that I think would cause it.

Can anyone think what the cause of this problem could be and how I could fix it?

One thing that I thought I would mention and I'm not sure if it's connected. I have been having a battery problem with the computer. It always says that the battery is at 100% but it only lasts for around 10 mins. When I turned it on today and was greeted by the blue screen I did not have it plugged in immediatly. I am awaiting a new battery...

Thanks
---
Conor
conormacaoidh.com > Web Design And Hosting
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting

take a look at that thread for some suggestions

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
patricia156

patricia156 is on a distinguished road

Hi Conor
The battery may be the problem but I have found that all my updating OS X.5.. problems have been due to a clash with Open Office. Could I suggest you remove this if it is on you computer. Just a suggestion
Cheers Patricia
QUOTE Thanks
conor

Thanks for the link - I am attempting to complete some of those steps now but not many of them are applicable as I can't boot into OSX I just get a blue screen...

And no I am not running OpenOffice.org
QUOTE Thanks
conor

I just followed the instructions on the above link. On checking the fs I got this error:

** Checking Catalog File
Incorrect block count for file pcsod.pub
(it should be 18 instead of 17)

Later..

** Checking Volume Information
Repairing Volume Information...

Then it ran the check again and passed, but still no luck booting to OSX :-(

I tried the other options as well to no avail...
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Do you have the install disc? If so you should run disc utility to see what it throws up.
If not there are other ways, but I'll await the answer first.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I had the same problem on a MacBook that a friend gave me to look at. I tried using Target Disk Mode to reinstall the 10.5.7 combo update, but it didn't work.

Ultimately, I wound up doing an Archive & Install from the Leopard disc and that fixed it. The process to do an Archive & Install is detailed here:

Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: About installation options

My understanding is that for some reason, the install of 10.5.7 fails part way through on some Macs (no concrete reason, from what I've read). My guess is that 10.5.7 was automatically downloaded and installed by Software Updates, after you received the machine back.

After you recover the machine, download the combo updater to get it back to 10.5.7 and see if that keeps it healthy.

Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo Update

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
conor

I have already performed an erase and install in which I zeroed out the HD to ensure there were no viruses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevriano View Post
Do you have the install disc? If so you should run disc utility to see what it throws up.
If not there are other ways, but I'll await the answer first.
I have tiger 10.4.10 install disks but when I put them in I get the error that the disks cannot be installed on this computer. But I don't really want to install Tiger - I would rather try and recover my Leopard installation.

I have made some progress. By holding apple + s on startup I logged into a CLI and managed to backup all of my files on an external HD.

Does anyone have any trouble shooting suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
I have already performed an erase and install in which I zeroed out the HD to ensure there were no viruses.

I have tiger 10.4.10 install disks but when I put them in I get the error that the disks cannot be installed on this computer. But I don't really want to install Tiger - I would rather try and recover my Leopard installation.

I have made some progress. By holding apple + s on startup I logged into a CLI and managed to backup all of my files on an external HD.

Does anyone have any trouble shooting suggestions?
If you have erased and zeroed out the HD, there's no way you're getting that Leopard installation back. But it's interesting that you say that, because if you did indeed zero out the HD, I'm perplexed as to how you would have recovered data from the CLI - unless of course you did that after you recovered your data.

Just pop your Leopard disk in and install - that's all there is to it. And if you don't have a Leopard disk and are using it without having bought it (it's not a free upgrade), then we can't help you any further here on this forum.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
conor

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, this is exactly the process I went through:

1 Bought second hand macbook with Leopard preinstalled. Came with Tiger install disks.

2. Got blue screen and went through a whole rigmarole of fixing it. Eventually just zeroed out the HD and a local mac re-seler put Leopard back on it, I had to pay 60 euro and he didn't let me keep the disks.

3. A few days and restarts later got the blue screen again. Logged on to the CLI and backed up my data. Went through some other processes to no avail.

And that's where I am now, Can you advise me further on trobleshooting options?

I have verified the disk and all the hardware with no errors!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor View Post
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, this is exactly the process I went through:

1 Bought second hand macbook with Leopard preinstalled. Came with Tiger install disks.

2. Got blue screen and went through a whole rigmarole of fixing it. Eventually just zeroed out the HD and a local mac re-seler put Leopard back on it, I had to pay 60 euro and he didn't let me keep the disks.

3. A few days and restarts later got the blue screen again. Logged on to the CLI and backed up my data. Went through some other processes to no avail.

And that's where I am now, Can you advise me further on trobleshooting options?

I have verified the disk and all the hardware with no errors!
At this point, you have two options. You can install Tiger from the discs you have, or purchase Leopard and install that.

The person who sold you the machine had no right to do so with Leopard installed on it and not including the disc. Essentially the license was never transferred to you. And secondly, the reseller had no right to install Leopard on your machine without selling it to you. If you want Leopard, you're going to need to purchase a retail copy of it.

QUOTE Thanks
Snapple Lover

Snapple Lover is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB ram DL SuperDrive

i had the same thing happen with my powerbook pismo, turned out that the proccesor was loose, just saying maybe something on ur computer is loose(ram,etc)
QUOTE Thanks
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
At this point, you have two options. You can install Tiger from the discs you have, or purchase Leopard and install that.
Which brings me to the other problem that I mentioned in my original post... When I insert my tiger discs it gives an error : this software cannot be installed on this computer. I am probably going to purcahse Leopard today, could you advise me as where to buy it online?

But answer me this, If all Leopard installations that I have had have failed and resorted to displaying a blue screen after a few days then what is the likelyhood that if I buy Leopard disks they will work, constistantly?

Would it not be a better idea, since I already have Leopard installed, and it seems in tact from what I can see, to try and recover it. And come to a solution of the problem so that when I do recover it it doesn't just fail again after a few days?
QUOTE Thanks
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapple Lover View Post
i had the same thing happen with my powerbook pismo, turned out that the proccesor was loose, just saying maybe something on ur computer is loose(ram,etc)
How did you discover the problem? DId it show up on a hardware scan because all my scans have returned perfect....

But I know that there is an extra gig of ram in this machine. I might open it up later and take out the ram to see if that's the source of the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

There is no way you are going to be able to recover Leopard without the proper 10.5 DVD. Amazon is a good place to purchase a new copy of Leopard Retail as their price is a bit lower than Apple.

I have a feeling the reason the Tiger DVD's give that error is the person gave you the wrong DVDs for your machine! The OSX DVD's that come with say a Macbook are only for a machine of those exact specs and will not install on any other Mac.

One thing I would try just in case is with the Tiger DVD in when you get to where you install, go to Disk Utility and format or partition the hard drive then try the install. If it still says it will not install I bet you have the wrong DVD like I said before.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I make back-up copies of install disks with DVD cloner? | Items on my desktop keep renaming themselves. »