New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook Pro - Copying files from macbook pro to external hard drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sinitry23

sinitry23 is an unknown at this point

Hi,

I am a new user to Mac systems. With PC's I can drag and drop the entire folders of photos that are on my desktop to the external drive. But when I try to do the same with a Mac it doesn't allow me. Please advise on how I can transfer from files from my desktop to my external drive.

"Macintosh HD" - All Pictures I copy all the raw files to a new folder on my Mac's desktop. I want to back up those photos to my external drive.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Without a little more info any anwsers will just be a guess. So...How is your hdd formated , how large are these folders. A FAT32 drive will not allow file transfers larger then 4 gigs....We need more info.

Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
sinitry23

My external WD 1TB drive is formated to NTFS.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

You can only read NTFs drives not write to them with out a driver such as NTFS-3G
How-to: Read and Write NTFS Windows Partition on Mac OS X - Stepcase Lifehack

This is a good link to explain it to you

Hope this helps
Clay

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
sinitry23

Thanks Clay! This will help alot!

So what file format do I need to format my drives to so I can write to it?
QUOTE Thanks
JGruber

JGruber has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD

If it's only going to be used on a Mac, then Mac OS Extended (Journaled) will work perfect.

Basically open up Disk Utility (Finder Toolbar > Go > Utility's > Disk Utility), Click the drive in question, click 'Erase' > Volume Format > Pick either Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or Mac OS Extended > Click Erase.

Now your done. However this will destroy any data on the drive, and will only be able to be used on Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Leopard Family Pack Thread | Divided Hard Drive »