New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Installing OS 9 after Jaguar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

alexmd

Is it possible to install OS 9 after Jaguar has been installed? I just got a used iMac with Jaguar preloaded. It didn't come with any system cds. I would like to keep Jaguar, but I want OS 9 as well. I have the 9.1 disc, so I'm set there, but when I tried installing it I got a message saying 9.1 is already installed. Is it referring to classic mode, or is 9.1 actually on here and the startup disc just hasn't been copied to the hard drive? If this is the case, how do I make a startup disc on the hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
goodolebwinches

Before you do anything else!

1. Go to the little "Blue Apple" in the top left of the screen.
2. Click the little blue apple and go down to "System Preferences" and click.
3. You will see a little icon of a "Hard Drive-with a question mark on top" labeled "Start-up Disk". Click on it.
4. Once you've clicked on "Start-up"....hopefully there are two partitions on the hard drive. One for OSX and one for OS9.
5. If this is the case....simply select the "OS9 hard disk" and click restart.

Let us know more after you go through this. Maybe OS9 is only on there in classic form, but you have to inform us for further help.
QUOTE Thanks
Emrys

Emrys is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM

Yeah, do what goodolewinches says. If after that, you find you don't have OS9 installed, OS9 can be installed sort of "under" OSX. So you are pretty much in a win-win situation here

Emrys
Community Administrator / Moderator
MAC-FORUMS.COM - The Ultimate Source For Your Mac!
QUOTE Thanks
MacAddikt

MacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of lightMacAddikt is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: G52x1.81.53208x+/-

unless you have a new machine, in which case you can only have "Classic mode" OS 9, which is non-bootable

QUOTE Thanks
SReg

I have the same problem as alexmd.
Unfortunately there is no OS 9 entry in "Start-up Disk".
The user manual says that the machine will not boot in OS 9 and I should use Classic, but as there is no OS 9 - Classic will not start.
Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
selina

Hi,

I have a dual 450 G4 with 1GB ram. I completely reformated the HD and Installed 10.3. I then decided to install OS9 but the machine refused to install it. I also tried to boot off the 9.2 CD and it refused saying It did not have a valid system (os 9) on it.

The othe problem is before 10.3 I could play DVDs on the system. After 10.3 DVDs won't play. It ejects the DVD after 30 seconds. Does not appear on the desktop. Other CDs will. including data music.

What am I doing wrong?

Help!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Eclipse 2.1.2 aand 3.0M4 crashes often on OS X 10.3 | Please Help Quick »