New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.3 - Upgrading from Panther to Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AppleUser2009

AppleUser2009 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dec 03 iMac, 1.25GHz G4 proccessor, 120GB Hard Drive, 1Gb DDR SDRAM, OSX 10.3.9 Panther

Hi everybody,

I have an iMac, purchased in December 2003, with a 1.25GHz G4 proccessor, 120GB Hard Drive and 1 Gb of RAM, it was supplied with OSX Panther and I have applied all the on line updates to get me to version 10.3.9.

I want to upgrade to the latest version of iTunes but now apparently need to upgrade my operating system to support this.

I understand that OSX has moved up from 10.3 Panther through 10.4 Tiger and is now at 10.5 Leopard.

My question is . . . if I purchase the new Leopard OSX 10.5 operating system software, can I upgrade from Panther all the way to Leopard or do I need to purchase the intermediate Tiger software and upgrade to that first.

If anybody out there who knows the answer to this/has experienced this I would be very pleased to hear about it

Regards

AppleUser2009
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You do not need to go thru Tiger to get to Leopard. Luckily Apple does not sell upgrade vs full install disks at varying price points the way some other OS developer does. There is only one consumer retail version of each OS.

You do not want to use the simple upgrade when installing. If you're wanting to keep your current settings, etc. you want to use the archive and install option.

However, there are many programs that you may have that will not be compatible with Leopard. You should verify that your software will work with Leopard if you do not want to upgrade all of that also. ex. Some older versions of Photoshop will not run under Leopard.

You might also want some feedback from some users with that processor to find out their recommendations as to whether Leopard will run fine or if you should stop at Tiger.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Delete Firefox bookmark | very basic question about os »