New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - External Drives and copying Problems!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

woodyuk

woodyuk is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have a Mac Mini and Macbook Pro both running 10.5.7 (but same problems on 10.5.6). I am a switcher, so still a bit new to mac world :-)

I have an old External Harddrive Seagate unit which has a new 1tb disk in it (formatted in Mac format with Journal etc). Have had no problems in copying from Mac > seagate device and it contains all my music etc.

I then bought a RAIDON device, holds 2 x 1tb disks and a RJ45 interface. I have formatted it as RAID 0 and EXT2. I did not want to do FAT32 due to 4gb file limit. Is EXT2 fully supported by Mac?

i can connect to the RaidON device and copying files onto it from my macmini or macpro is fine.

However if I copy large amounts of data from my other Seagate device > raidon I get problems. Either it just stalls half way through copying, or I get permission problems at some point.

I have scanned the disk, no errors etc. I have also doubled checked the permissions and my user has full read / write.

Is there anything else I am missing? Can I reset or permissions at a command layer? seems what you can do in the GUI is a bit limited?

I have also tried some RSync mac based apps and no luck (like arsync) but they tend to just freeze half way through.

Thanks for any advice
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Mac OS X can not write to Ext2 or 3. You will need third party software such as "Paragon ExtFS Mac". Link

There is also a free method which I am not familiar with. Check on Source Forge Net. Link

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
woodyuk

Hi

Then how am I copying files from my MacBook Pro to my RAIDON device which is EXT2 and I have no problems opening / playing stuff back? Not had any problems at all.

Its only from my FAT32 external device > NAS Raidon

Doing some more checking - I keep getting error -36 on only a few files but then crashes. Doing some more googling seems a lot of people have been having these issues but no answers on what to do.
QUOTE Thanks
woodyuk

Seems I will end up answering my own problem! :-) In case someone else runs into this ....

The solution after a LOT of messing was to delete all .DS_Store and ._.DS_Store files from the FAT32 External drive. Problem then fixed. The Issue was that extended permissions were on those files and EXT2 did not like them!

In the end I did the following from root of external drive.

find . -name '.*DS_Store' | xargs -I {} rm {}

I also then added my external drive in spotlight settings to ignore indexing and also did

defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

I am hoping thats enough to stop it from happening again!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Enable WindowBuffer Compression in Tiger? | How can I start Aquamacs on command line »