New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Update for Mac os X 10.5.7 stuck

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

n4speed

n4speed is on a distinguished road

i Just got my MBP 15' and it had 10.5.5 on it and as apple recommended to update the OS to 10.5.7, i did it. I downloaded all the updates even the large 737 mb file i.e 10.5.7 update.All updates got installed but for the main update that is the OS update..wen we restart it ask for installing updates.it started installing and get stuck in the starting like the bar goes ------- this much and stays there for 6hrs.I restarted my MBP but still the software hasn't updated.?
What to do ? This is my new MBP and i dont wanna screw up.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

If you forcibly shut the machine down during the install, there may be some corruption in the file system.

The easiest way to fix this would be to start the machine, go into Disk Utility (Applications => Utilities => Disk Utility). Select "Macintosh HD", click the First Aid tab and click Verify Disk, then Repair Disk. Also run Verify and Repair Permissions. Then try using the combo updater again.

If the problem persists, you may need to use the fsck command in single user mode to sort out the issue.

Start the machine in single user mode (turn the computer on and immediately press and hold Command+S). At the prompt, type the following:

/sbin/fsck -f

Allow the repair to run, and if it found errors, run the repair again until it comes up without errors.

Then, when finished try running the combo updater again.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
n4speed

n4speed is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the Help But nothing is working for me..Tried Everything you said.still the installation is stuck for about 2 hrs now.Any Solutions? Should i take my MBP to the Apple guys ?Can they update OS X for me ?

MacBook Pro 15' iPod Classic 120gb
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4speed View Post
Thanks for the Help But nothing is working for me..Tried Everything you said.still the installation is stuck for about 2 hrs now.Any Solutions? Should i take my MBP to the Apple guys ?Can they update OS X for me ?
Something is not right there. I would definitely consider making a Genius Bar appointment if you can.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Click and Drag/Copy and Paste will not work | preinstall updates »