New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

OS 10.5 - Java Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

180slider

180slider is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

i recently updated my mac to os x 10.5.7 and was getting these java errors when i open limewire. something along the lines of, im using 1.4 and i need 1.6. . . did the update to 1.6 but still no good.

i found the directory with all other versions of java and deleted all but 1.6, bad idea. . . now it says i dont have the java runtime?? any ideas where i can download this from??

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Davidk02

Davidk02 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac

I'd probably just uninstall Limewire, and start from scratch. Meaning, just get rid of the one you have and download it again. Probably be the easiest way.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

No need to start from scratch. Odds are that although the new version is installed, it's not set as the default. Try the following: open up /Applications/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences.app and under "Java application versions", drag "Java SE 6" to the top to make Java 6 (1.6) the default version of Java for applications.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
180slider

ok thanks guys,

i tried to do what vansmoth said, but for some odd reason the program crashes before it loads. . .

any ideas??

is there anywhere i can just download, java runtime???
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you get it from the first time?

Here is a link to get Java 6 for Leopard - note, this is Intel 64-bit only.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
180slider

thanks, but mine is power PC
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

AFAIK, you're out of luck. I believe Java 6 is only available for Intel Macs.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
180slider

all good now, had to install an old version of re onto a flash drive then force copy the files onto the hdd then do an update of those files. . . such head aches. . . turns out the reason that limewire wouldn't run was also because i had updated it without realizing that it was for intel only. . . jeeze!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto gone after reloading 10.5.6 | Start up disk »