New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

System Preferences Icons in wrong place

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonah002

I have no idea how this happened and have been trying to figure out how to fix it with no luck. For some reason on my G5 the Expose, Desktop & Screen Saver, Print & Fax and Security icons are all grouped in the OTHER Category under my sys pref pane. The Expose, Desktop & Screensaver and Security icons should be under Personal and Print should be under Hardware.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? How do you fix them? I've tried to compare between my POwerbook and my G5 and I can figure out where the difference is.

Any information is greatly appreciated. This is not an emergency, it's more of a nuisance of why this has happened and I am just curious of knowing why it happened.

THank you,
JC
QUOTE Thanks
jonah002

Now I see something even more disturbing. On my powerbook under the view menu of my sys pref the selections are (Show All Pref|Organize By Cat | Organize Alph | All my pref panes | Hide toolbar) on my G5 which is experiencing the problem the view is all different - Show all pref is not there it has Organize by Cat in its place and the hide toolbar appears before the prefrence shortcuts not after. Also, there are 2 entries for Universal Access. So it seems it is all werid, how can I fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Try deleting com.apple.systempreferences.plist

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
jonah002

Quote:
Originally Posted by immdb
Try deleting com.apple.systempreferences.plist
I did that and still the same problem
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Weird... have you repaired preferences? How about a reboot?
QUOTE Thanks
jonah002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
Weird... have you repaired preferences? How about a reboot?
Both have been done. I can't remember when was the last time it was normal but it drives me crazy not being able to repair it.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I'd try file system check. Restart (hold Apple S) to single user terminal. until ***File system changed**** stops showing, type /sbin/fsck -fy restart or exit when done
QUOTE Thanks
jonah002

Tried that . no luck. Hmmm ... how does the system preferences decide where and how to show these icons? Below are two images so you can see what I mean. The first one is just of the system preferences and the second one is with the view list. You can see how it is all whacky!

QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

try dragging and dropping them into their correct places, or under view, try arranging by xcategory.
QUOTE Thanks
jonah002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
try dragging and dropping them into their correct places, or under view, try arranging by xcategory.
1. You can not drag and drop them in place
2. If you saw the list drop down you will notice that there are things wrong with it , especially the first 3 options are not correct so If I click organize by category nothing happens and if I select the alphabetically then I can not get it back to cat view unless I delete the pref file.

This is more than just a simple drag and drop problem. THat is why I have brought it to this forum. Please review the images well and make a comment on the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

hmm, perhaps your system preferences app is corrupt or just gone nuts, have you tried reinstalling system prefs app, you can do it by using pacifist to extract the package for system pref, better than an archgive and install, which may also work.
QUOTE Thanks
jonah002

Vincent thank you, pacifist is da bomb! problem now fixed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! Finding crashing continuosly... | Password protecting a folder »